Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault - Copy Design issues

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Infoseeker
4060 Views, 13 Replies

Vault - Copy Design issues

I am making a copy design of a big file, two things I need to change manually which takes lots of time:

I need to change the status of files from Reuse to Copy, also I need to change the paths to the right ones as the paths that kick in by default when I change the main directory on the top are not right.

Is there a quick way of changing status of all the files to Copy, kinda shift and highlight or the way Vault renames files with Replace option?

With big assemblies connected with 10 drawing files doing it all by hand just can drive you crazy. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cwhetten
in reply to: Infoseeker

To change the status of many files at once, Ctrl + click on the file status icon (colored circle).  The way this works is that when you Ctrl + click on an assembly or drawing file, all children of that file will also be changed.  So if you want to change them all, find the top-level assembly (or drawing) and do it there.  Chances are this file is already set to Copy, so you will have to click it once to change it to Reuse, then do the Ctrl+click to change them all to Copy.

Unfortunately, this also changes the copy status of all library files as well, so you will have to manually change those back to Reuse.

Message 3 of 14
cwhetten

The way the folders work is kinda tricky to explain.  Have a look at the attached pdf for an explanation of how to control in to which folders the design is copied.

I have had to do a few copy designs of complex models with extensive folder structures, and, after making the best use of the Copy Design From and Copy Design To fields, I have found the find and replace options available for the Vault Folder column to be quite useful.

Message 4 of 14
Infoseeker
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks, this helps a bit. The only thing, when I library parts change along with other parts in an assembly, I get an error pop up and cant change the status to reuse. Have to close the window and start all over again. Those small Vault things that make you feel good.

Message 5 of 14
Infoseeker

This PDFexplains a lot.

Message 6 of 14
cwhetten

If I remember correctly, there is a hotfix or something for that error.  Can you post a screen image of the error so I can be sure it's the one I'm thinking of?

Message 7 of 14
Infoseeker

Cant recreate this error, hopefully its was one time thing.

Anyways, you saved me lot of time.

I hope its ok if I share your Copy Design PDF with my co-workers?

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 14
Greatwhitenorth

@cwhetten wrote:

Unfortunately, this also changes the copy status of all library files as well, so you will have to manually change those back to Reuse.

If you right-click on the top assembly, and select Reuse Library Files, they will change from Copy to Reuse.

Message 9 of 14
cwhetten
in reply to: Greatwhitenorth

@ Infoseeker:  I don't mind if you share the pdf.  In fact, that pdf was just an excerpt from a more comprehensive guide.  I have attached the full document here, if you would like it.  Feel free to share this as well.

Edit:  I tried to post the PDF, but this forum has a rediculously low file size limit (1,572,864 bytes).  I'll see if I can split it up into pieces and post it later.

@ bstewart:  You.  Are.  AWESOME!  I wonder how long that option was there and I just had no idea?  Thanks for enlightening me!

Message 10 of 14
cwhetten

Here is the full document, split up into pieces.

Message 11 of 14

I dont get an option Reuse Library Parts when right clicking on the top assembly. When I click Copy on the top assembly all the library parts included in the assembly get highlighted red and when I try to change their status from Copy to Reuse error window pops up not allowing the change. I use Vault Professional 2011.

Message 12 of 14
cwhetten

This error (Error 1024) was resolved with a hotfix.  See the following thread for more information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Error-1024-in-Vault-2011-on-Copy-Design/m-p/2851580/hig...

Since you don't have the Reuse Library Parts option, it must have been added in 2012.

Message 13 of 14
kennyj

@cwhetten

I am looking for this documentation for 2016 Vault and the "new" copy design options.  Do you have anything like that?

Thank you in Advance.

-Kenny

Message 14 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: kennyj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report