Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Copy Design. Changing file action from 'reuse file' to 'copy file'

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
shmartin89
3506 Views, 15 Replies

Vault Copy Design. Changing file action from 'reuse file' to 'copy file'

I am copying a design in the vault & when i go through all the files to ensure they are all to 'copy' there is several which I cannot change their status from 'reuse' to 'copy'

I dont have any of the files checked out & they are all the latest versions. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Cheers,

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
cbenner
in reply to: shmartin89
Message 3 of 16
cwhetten

One of those files would be the project file (.IPJ).  This one is always read-only, so just ignore it.

I have seen this happen when one of the items being copied is being referenced by a drawing (so the drawing is also going to be copied).  But that drawing is also referencing another component outside of the scope of the design being copied.  Hopefully that makes sense, but if not, here is a graphic that may help or not:

Extra Copy Design.png

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 4 of 16
pcrawley

It's another good reason to work with the one-part-per-drawing.  I've seen this frequently where multiple parts are detailed on a drawing, then you do a copy design in Vault which results in copies of all the parts that were on that drawing.  

At least with one-part-per-drawing, when you do a copy design you only get a copy of the parts and drawings you wanted.

Just as a test, try going to Options and excluding related documentation:

21-05-2013 9-55-28 a-m-.jpg

Peter

Peter
Message 5 of 16
shmartin89
in reply to: pcrawley

Thanks everyone.

Iv tried out afew of these techniques to try and get the files to copy.

2 for the 7 files that wont copy are single part files. They contain 1 extrusion each & have their own drawing. They also exist in a larger assembly file but as a loose item.

If i choose to 'Copy Design' of the problem parts directly they copy fine. Its just when i select the top level drawing something is preventing the copy.

Non of the problem files contain content centre parts. Even if i do place something from content centre i place it as a 'custom part'

Iv also tried excluding & including related documentation but to no avail.

Iv drawn this sketch to help clarify the 2 problem part files.
 I dont undersatnd why they will copy directly rather then with related file. Is this just a glitch in the vault?

Caopy Design.JPG

Message 6 of 16
pcrawley

I've done literally thousands of "Copy Design" functions in Vault, and I have yet to see something Vault does without a good reason, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a glitch just yet.

Can you select the top-level IDW in Vault, then post a screenshot of the "Uses" tab in Vault?  that might give us a clue to the structure of your assembly and parts.  It would also help if (in the "Uses" tab) you include the Vault-path column so I can see the folder srtucture.  the problem may be something to do with where you are doing a copy from / to.

Peter

Peter
Message 7 of 16
shmartin89
in reply to: pcrawley

Hi peter,

Unfortunately i cant do that because i would reveal our client information through the part names etc.

I have several GA Drawings & several GA Models - consisting of many sub assemblies & then parts.

Essentially the way the project has been carried out is intially creating a top level model, then save copy as that  model x amount of times in order to reference different sectors of the project. So say 5 Top level;drawings each referencing the top level models

However there are slight modifications to the Top models, e.g some loose part files exists alongside them, not in a subassembly. (This makes it easier to reference unique parts when it comes to the drawings.)

In terms of copy design, i dont have a top assmebly or drawing file which can capture everything within the project for the copy. The entire project is captured through the related Top level drawings & the other GA models come under that.

hopefully this makes sense.....! If you see the sketch in my last post that typifies a top level model and drawing set up. Im now starting to think that if a single part is reference in more then 1 location would this cause a problem when copying?!

Sandy

Message 8 of 16
swhite

The workaround? Do your design copy. Open the resued part, save a copy of it as the new name you want. Then open the new assembly. Select that part and replace it with the new part you just made (ctrl+h). Problem solved, production continues. Then in your free time you can play with it and try to figure out why it wont allow you to copy it but only reuse it. If we were talking a few hundred parts I might be concerned, but since it seems only one part is affected I wouldn't worry too much about it. it is probably somehow tied to the content center or libraries (perhaps a copy made from one of those parts?) And yes, perhaps being in both an upper level and lower unrelated assembly is causing an issue somehow since the part copies fine on its own. Just finish the design copy, save another of that part and then replace which will allow you to get started on the new project.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 9 of 16
shmartin89
in reply to: swhite

This is a method which i considered, however I use skeletal modelling for creating assemblies/parts/models in inventor.

If i save copy as the original parts/assemblies & rename they will still be referencing back to my original controlling skeletal sketch from the previous project & there will always be that link.

Otherwise I would have to then resolve links for all my parts in the assemblies. However, i think this may be the only way.

Shruggs!

Message 10 of 16
karthur1

Are the "stuborn" parts made from a Skeletal Model?  If they are, I "think" you will have to copy the parent file as well.  Vault 2013 warns you about this during the copy design.  I don't remember the exact message.  Earlier versions didnt warn you about this... they just wouldnt copy the files.

Thats one drawback about using skeletal modeling.... its tricky to reuse parts in other designs.  Of course, you can always break/suppress the link.

Message 11 of 16
shmartin89
in reply to: karthur1

Yeah. My skeletal sketch is derived into every part & assembly file so everything relates back to it.

When I select copy design I can collapse every file and at the very base will be the derived skeletal sketch.

I think the way around this could be to copy design the stubborn files individually and manually add them into the copied project file. It may cause problems initially because the top level drawings will be looking for the missing files.

Sent from my iPad
Message 12 of 16
karthur1

What Vault version are you using?  I'm using Vault Basic 2013. 

In the screen shot below, I have done a copy design on the F3451-200.iam.  I changed the F3451-100 and the F3451-101 Layout to copy (ones by the red arrow).  The "F3451-101 Layout" is derived into all the parts that make up this assembly, but I only want to copy one of them.  When I do this, Vault gives me a warning. This is the warning I was talking about earlier.

If I continue, Vault will change the file that all the files list in the "Affected Objects" column reference.  They will no longer be controlled by the F3451-101 Layout", but instead, the new file.

2013-05-22_0741.png

Probably the best thing to do is to copy the stuborn files individually like you said. If you want to change the reference that the derived files are using, there is a tool to do that. I find this to me a HUGE time saver.

Check this out.  the code is in message #6:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Derived-Part-Replace-Model-Reference/m-p/3062998/hig...

Message 13 of 16
shmartin89

Im using 2012 at the moment. About to switch to 2014.

Ah right, That seems like it could complete the copy. Although i have never received an error message like that before. Was that a new feature in 2013? So i guess you have to go into every part in an assembly & reference it to the new derived part file? then copy everything into the new workspace folder.

I may just out of interest imgrate the file to 2014 and see if the vault will copy it.

Cheers

Sandy

Message 14 of 16
karthur1

Just migrating the parts to Invetnor 2014 won't help anything with the copy design.  In order to use Vault 2014, you will have to upgrade the ADMS and the local client to Vault 2014.  You "could" just upgrade the ADMS to 2014 and use 2012 client, but you wont get any of the new features for 2014 client.  Thats a topic for another thread.

Upgrading the Vault ADMS and the client, is no quick and easy task... not for me anyway.

Message 15 of 16
shmartin89

Thanks for all the help with this one guys.

I managed to solve the problem by creating an assembly file containing all my top level assemblies. By using the copy design on this file, all the files were 'copied' rather then reused. It would be better if (like the Pack and Go function) the copy design included all the children files in the project, not just the assembly. Maybe this already exists?!

Cheers,

Sandy

Message 16 of 16
maximebouch
in reply to: swhite

yes i would worry about it since it the file that contain all my parameters,

and '' not worry about it'' also mean avoid the problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report