Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault & Server Advice

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
stevec781
881 Views, 15 Replies

Vault & Server Advice

I have always operated as a single user on a stand alone machine but have now had to employ a second user so I guess we need to implement vault.  There is only 2 of us and we each have a machine with SSD for OS and SSD for data, so would a simple server like the HP Proliant micro server do the job?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jletcher
in reply to: stevec781

I would not use vault for two users.

In fact I would not use vault at all no matter how many users..

Vault has many issues if you have the time to fight it go for it but if you rather design than fix vault issues I would not use it.

Just my thoughts..........

Message 3 of 16
stevec781
in reply to: jletcher

How can we both work on the same data set and not risk over writing files without something like vault?

Message 4 of 16
jletcher

You place your Design data on server then point both Inventors to it.

As far as file goes I need to know what kind of work you do what do you design. Do you use Projects?

I have set up many shops and they have from 5 to 30 engineers not one of these places did I set up vault and they have never had any issues.

Message 5 of 16
stevec781

oh ok so I still need a server then?  or maybe just use one of the existing machines as the data storage.

We design boats.  Each boat has its own directory and its own project.  We use common origin work flow with lots of derived parts because everything is inter related.

I have seen legacy projects in the help with shared and semi isolated projects.  Are they what you use instead of vault?

Message 6 of 16
jletcher

Server is best much faster. But with two don't need to be all that powerful.

When I set up projects I set up for single user. Just because it says that does not mean two cannot work in the same project just means one has to control the main assembly.

When I did Sims we had 6 on one project each had their own Subs to do. Like one did the cockpit the other did the controls and so on. Then the lead project manager controlled the main assembly.

Message 7 of 16
JimSteinmeyer

Here at my work location we use one of the PC as the "server". The drive was partitioned in two and one of the partitions was desigenated as the vault location. I have used a vault (SW and Pro-E) in past jobs and was concerned when coming here that no vault was used. I instigated installing a vault on the server drive. I have been underwhelmed with the value of the Inventer Vault. Then when we migrated from 2012 to 2013 we spent about $1000 in customor support getting the vault up and running and we still have small lingering issues.

If you have many common parts that are used in several boats but risk being changed by the different users, even adding work planes or things, the vault may be worth it. Otherwise I would avoid it. I wish we had the mony back we spent getting it setup because we have years of time ahead cleaning up legacy files before we can use the vault correctly.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 8 of 16
jletcher
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

Jim just set up a lybary folder that one has rights to save to and no one else this is what I do when I set up clients..

This way they cannot change the part only one can. So if a part is changed then they know who to blame...

And he is right vault is a nightmare as I stated..

Message 9 of 16
streharg

For only 2 people, there's no need for vault. Just a good project, and a good system. As jletcher said, stay away from it, it's a nightmare. You need special trained IT guy just to fix that **** thing. Company where i work already spend a lot of money on that...but, there's 20 engineers, and we do need PDM system, so for now we're stuck on productstream (nightmare, like vault). 

Greg

PDSU 2016
4790K, 32 Gb ram, GTX 960 ...
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 10 of 16
karthur1

There are system requirements here for Vault.  I am not familar at all with the HP you mentioned. 

As far as Vault goes, it is not really that difficult, but you have to learn how it works.  If you dont understand it, it can cause you to struggle with it.  I have 10 people here, (5 engineers) using it everyday without issue.  We NEVER have file resolution issues or lose work because somebody overwrote somebody elses work.

I would not use Vault without it....  Even for a single user, Vault has some useful features that make it very nice.

Like:

Copy Design

Where used / Uses Feature

Renaming capabilities

Replace Command

Add attachments to associtated files

Print Model tree

Etc..

Message 11 of 16
jletcher
in reply to: karthur1

Like:

Copy Design

Where used / Uses Feature

Renaming capabilities

Replace Command

Etc..

All in Design Assistant

Message 12 of 16
karthur1

I used DA when we first started using Inventor and really didn't like it.  It was just too slow for me.  Sure you can do all those things, with it, I just like Vault better. In Vault the "where Used" is a tab.  Click it and it quickly shows EVERYWHERE that file is used.

Some like it shaken, some like it stirred.  Depends on who's serving mine  Smiley Happy

Is it 5:00 yet.

Message 13 of 16
jletcher

No not 5 yet I am waiting on 3...

Message 14 of 16
stevec781

Thanks guys, if we could just work on seperate sub assemblies then working seperately wouild be great, but because everything is inter related I am really worried about over writing files.  Not sure about vault or not but I think I will try and configure the system without a dedicated server.  I dont want the speed oif the SSD's to be limited by spinning server disks.  Lot's to think about.

Message 15 of 16
karthur1

@stevec781 wrote:

....  I dont want the speed oif the SSD's to be limited by spinning server disks.  Lot's to think about.

Thats not really an issue with vault.  A read-only copy of the files are stored locally in your "workspace". Of coarse, if your network connection speed is slow, that would slow either vault or working from a shared network folder.

Message 16 of 16
JimSteinmeyer

(Jim just set up a lybary folder that one has rights to save to and no one else this is what I do when I set up clients..

This way they cannot change the part only one can. So if a part is changed then they know who to blame..)

Jletcher,

This is an idea however it does not address common shared components like axles, suspensions, anhydrus tanks, hardware, and many vendor supplied components that need to be shared with all users andfrom time to time may need a work plane or something added to make them more user friendly. It is nice to have a vault to keep these in that will notify the user if what he has is the latest version. The same goes for many subassemblies we have. With good discliplne a smaller group of users can work around these cases but it sure is nice to have a vaulting system for larger groups.

I am not saying the vault idea is not a good thing, I think it is very useful. I was just suprised and very dissapointed with year to year migration issues we had. just one more reason not to migrate every year.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report