Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using workpoints in part to place many duplicate features

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
QuasiMojo
231 Views, 2 Replies

Using workpoints in part to place many duplicate features

I can't seem to find search terms that lead me to my answers, so I hoped I could field these questions as I keep digging.

I have a microchip that needs to be modeled with wire-bond pads.  I have the point set provided by the manufacturer imported into a sketch.  All I need do now is create 100x85 micron rectangles at each point.  I can't figure out how to do this so I don't have to draw the same rectangle 115 times.  I've tried to copy and paste, but it pastes in arbitrary locations, not at the cursor, which is not very good as they wind up miles away after a few pastes.

There is an additional, bizarre complication: when I make a pad rectangle in the sketch with the points and then dimension it, all the imported work points scale with the rectangle!  I was trying to make iFeatures for this, but then things got wacky and I thought I'd better ask for help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: QuasiMojo

Hi! The best workflow for this case is to use Sheet Metal Punchtool insertion workflow. What you need is to create a simple Punchtool (iFeature with a sketch center). Then convert the part to Sheet Metal part. Next, insert the Punchtool to the Sheet Metal part. It will automatically snap to the sketch points.

Regarding the auto-scaling behavior in the sketch, it was designed to ensure all the unconstrained geometry proportionally scale with the very first dimension. To avoid the behavior, you can simply add a Fixed constraint to any sketch point. Then create dimensions to other geometry. Auto-scaling should not happen.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
QuasiMojo
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you. I tried this and couldn't get it to work at first.  I then added a sketch on top of the rectangle with a center point and was able to place them at each point. Thanks very much.  I've attached the revised model showing the features, in case it helps someone else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report