Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the iProperties of the current member of an iPart in a .dwg

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jdrwv5
758 Views, 5 Replies

Using the iProperties of the current member of an iPart in a .dwg

I am currently working on automating a drawing for a template that I have created using iParts in Inventor 2011. Each member of the iPart table has specific iProperties that apply for that particular configuration. My goal is to place my views of a particular iPart member into a drawing file and then use the iProperties of the current configuration used in the drawing to populate the Title Block of the drawing. I can pull the properties from the actual .ipt file using iLogic and use them for the properties of the sheet, but those are the properties of the last saved version. Is there any way for me to pull the properties for the member that is currently displayed in the drawing without having to save the .ipt each time in that configuration?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jdrwv5

Hi! Couldn't you pull the iProperties from iPart member files instead?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
jdrwv5
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Currently I have all of the different members saved under the one .ipt file. When I go into the drawing, I select that file name and then I tab over to Model State and in the iPart Member box select the configuration I want. Each of these members, located in the original .ipt have specific properties that change from one member to the next. The problem is, when I select that view to drop into the drawing, the sheet does not update with the correct properties. 

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Either something is not working right or I don't understand well the workflow you are using. When you place a view of an iPart and you select a member from Model State, the view actually references the member ipt file, not the factory ipt file (though the member ipt file is a derived part of the factory ipt file). In theory, the iproperties of the member ipt file can be retreived on the view. Are you saying it is not doable?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
jdrwv5
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson, would it be possible for you to walk me through the process you would use to populate the iProperties of the drawing sheet with the iProperties of the member displayed in the view? Perhaps I am simply going about this in an incorrect manner. For some reason, the sheet iProperties do not fill with anything when I move in my model. Thanks, and sorry for all of the confusion.

Message 6 of 6
jdrwv5

Nevermind, I fixed my own problem. I was trying to moved properties from the model configuration to the drawing to the title block, and I think there was some mess up along the line. When I changed my title block to reference the model properties and I changed my configuration in the view, the title block populated correctly. Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report