Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using select tool with ballooning

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
beau-tech
415 Views, 2 Replies

Using select tool with ballooning

I have two parts almost the same so they overlay each other. Trying to balloon using the select tool and it doesn't work. How do you select the 'second' part in the select tool list to balloon it?

Thanks.

Pete

IV 2012

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: beau-tech

I would have said "use the Select Other tool" until I tried it... doesn't work!  If two components share an edge, for example, I can only pick one of them.  The Select Other tool appears, I can scroll to the other component, but when I select it, nothing happens-- no balloon appears, I'm still in pick mode (mouse pointer with +).  With some shared edges I can carefully move back and forth across the edge and find a spot where it highlights the other component, but other edges have no such "sweet spot".

If I go ahead and place a balloon for the unwanted component, I can then perhaps move the pointer to the same edge and have it select the other component.  In fact, for one edge I tried, it would only pick part 0006 when placing the balloon, but when I dragged the arrowhead, it immediately switched to part 0004 and no amount of dragging would change it back (using that same shared edge).

Looks as if edge selection for ballooning could use a little attention from the programmers (and don't forget that coil apparent edges can't be ballooned at all- try to balloon a spring in an iso view).

Message 3 of 3
dan_inv09
in reply to: SBix26

It's a good thing I didn't respond after reading the first post, I would have written almost exactly what sbixler did (except I knew a long time ago that it didn't work).

I suspect that Ballooning has been declared "done" and everyone who worked on it moved on to other things (most likely icon design). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report