Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using parameters from Excel in IV2010

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
elmotors
704 Views, 9 Replies

Using parameters from Excel in IV2010

I created an assembly, so far with one part in it.  I created an Excel spreadsheet with several dimensions in it that would be used in the assembly parts.  I went to Manage>Parameters  and linked the spreadsheet.  The Excel file appeared in the Parameter Dialog Box with the parameters included in it.  However, when I create a part in the assembly and attempt to dimension a sketch in it, the parameters option in the dimension box is not present. 

I have done this in the past in IV2009, has anything changed that I cannot do so in 2010?

Thanks,

CM

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: elmotors

If you linked the spreadsheet to the assembly, the parameters wont be available at the part level. You would have to link the spreadsheet in each part. A typical method for handling this type of data is to link your spreadsheet to a master part, then derive the parameters, as you need them, into any subsequent parts you create. Not only does it tend to be more stable but it also lends itself well to skeletal and multi-body modelling techniques.

Stew

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Just in case, assuming you have linked the spreadsheet to the part, have you selected the arrow in the dimension dialogue and selected list parameters or just tried to type them directly?

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 4 of 10
elmotors

Thanks, that tip on linking to the part does the trick.  The HELP instruction did not specify this, and I got the impression that the spreadsheet could be linked to the top assembly.  It seems to work now.  Thanks Again.  CM

Message 5 of 10
elmotors

Yes, once I linked the spreadsheet to the part the "List Parameters" appeared when the right arrow is clicked.  Thanks, CM

Message 6 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: elmotors

No probs. You can still link to assemblies but that would control anything parametric in the assembly, such as assembly features and constraints, etc.

Stew, AICP
Message 7 of 10
Kris_Inv2013

Hi there,

How do I actually link parts or assemblies to the parametric master part?

Might be a silly question but I am new to Inventor and parametric design. 

Many thanks!

K

Message 8 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

Hi Kris, You can either use the derive command and select what parameters you want to pull through or you can use the link button in the parameters editor. I normally use the latter unless I am pulling through other geometry at the same time. The link option is the same method used to link the spreadsheet except you need to change the file type to select parts and assemblies.
Stew, AICP
Message 9 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: Kris_Inv2013

I might add that there have also been developments since the original post, such as multi-body parts. You can create your geometry in the one part file then push it into the assemblies using the Make Components command on the manage tab. This gives you a derived part icon the browser so to pull through additional parameters you would only need to edit the derived part.
Stew, AICP
Message 10 of 10
Kris_Inv2013

Many thanks Stew, problem is solved.

Master part and linked parts/assemblies and some derived Parts are working fine from spreadsheet.

Only thing I can’t figure out is if there is a way to automatically update linked parameters in parts and assemblies to show new parameters when they are added to the spread sheet.

(Once I manually update the master part and open the Parameters window and tick the “Export Parameter” box for each, every single linked or derived part/assy also needs manual updating (Manage Tab/Parameters window --> right click on Master part location / ”Edit Folder” / Link parameters. I have to change manually the status of each parameter.

Same if it is a derived part [derived part/ right click on master part/ Edit Derived Part --> parameter status needs manual updating...])

Any suggestion woul be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Kris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report