Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using iPart & iAssembly to create cylinder assemblies with custom stroke length

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
j_w_12
1349 Views, 7 Replies

Using iPart & iAssembly to create cylinder assemblies with custom stroke length

Hi,

I understand the basics of iParts and iAssemblies but am not sure if this is possible...

I want to model a 2-part hydraulic cylinder assembly with dimensions driven from a table AND be able to include a custom stroke length as inputed by the user (the physical length of the rod, rather than how far a fixed length is allowed to travel).

I know I can generate an iPart family for the 2 members of Assembly and then place these inside an iAssembly. What I can't seem to do is still vary the stroke length from iAssembly level.

Has anyone got any ideas?

It would be amazing if this was possible. I've got approx 10 cylinders-types to model, each with 10+ configurations.

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MingweiGao
in reply to: j_w_12

Hello,

Sure, you can do it by ipart and iassembly. One of my colleague made a similar hydraulics cylinder several months ago. Like the attached picture. In addition, attached file includes the inventor models for your reference. Hope this will help you. 

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 3 of 8
j_w_12
in reply to: MingweiGao

Hi,

Thanks for your response - forgot to mention I'm using 2012... I'm getting the following error:

"Database schema for file C:\xxxxx.iam (17.0(build 170095000, 95)), which is newer than this version (16.0 SP1 (Build 160190100, 190)) of the software"

I'm assuming you're on 2013? Is there anyway I could see the file in 2012 format?

thanks

Message 4 of 8
j_w_12

Also, I'm looking for a solution whereby the user can enter a custom stroke length (any value they want). Does your model do that or are you stuck with multiple pre-defined lengths as created in the iPart?

Message 5 of 8
MingweiGao

Yes, the models are created on AIP 2013 and it seems no method to transfer them to 2012 version. How about downloading and installing 2013 on trial.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 6 of 8
MingweiGao

We only pre-defined multiple strokes as created in the iPart and user can select the stroke and other key parameters.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 7 of 8
j_w_12

Ok I understand how to do it the way you guys have I think. I'll have a look when I get the chance to get 2013 trial.

Is there any possibility of doing it the way I'd like to with an inputable custom stroke length (any value)?

I could see this being really useful if anyone has a soloution, at the moment I'm stuck Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 8
j_w_12

Anyone have any other ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report