Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using iLogic to create a custom notes builder

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jfildes
1009 Views, 2 Replies

Using iLogic to create a custom notes builder

Hello,

We have serveral standard notes that we use on our drawings. These notes vary from drawing to drawing and content may vary. For example we have a standard way of calling out a painted part but what paint to use varies from part to part. Another example is we have a standard quality note but the quality requirements may change part to part. Currently I have placed all of these notes as user symbols directly on the template file. Once placed some of these notes have user propmted entries for them to fill out the custom information. 

What I would like to have is a global iLogic rule or form (forgive me I have zero experience with iLogic), that would have different check boxes. The user would check the appropriate notes that they would like on the drawing and be asked via drop down or prompted entry for the custom value, the notes compiled into a singular text box and placed on the drawing at a predetermined location on the drawing. 

Does this sound like a resonable use for iLogic? Does anyone have some building blocks of this idea, or point me in a direction? It seems like it should be doable, again since I have zero experience with iLogic I'm just not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
theo.bot
in reply to: jfildes

I would suggest to store the information in a (custom) iproperty of your part or assembly, because it's it's related to your part or assembly.
Create a sketched symbol (note) in your drawing template,, where you can read the propertie from your part. ( in the text editor you can link iproperties and parameters).

To make it easier to fill the information you can use ilogic. Also the placement of your notes can be automated.
Message 3 of 3
jfildes
in reply to: jfildes

Interesting that I stumbled back across this years later. I ultimately took the advice of @theo.bot  and created some custom iPropeties. Developed a pretty good working solution that uses a Boolean value on these iProperties and based on whether they are true or false, builds a note block. There's some additional code in there for the items that need to vary the result based on an engineering decision. Over time, our standard notes have increased and I've been able to add to the list with a handler that checks if an iProperty exists and generate it if not. A Global form handles the toggling of the iProperty values and executes the note builder once all the decisions are made. Pretty happy with how it turned it. Could probably be better but it's worked for us for years. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report