Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using IDF files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
KevinPinks7697
981 Views, 4 Replies

Using IDF files

I don't have any IDF files yet to import, but say I import a PCB assembly in IDF format, am I going to have to constrain all the parts in the PCB assembly? If so, that is going to be a real pain and makes me wonder if the IDF import is worth it?

Thx

Kev

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

Until someone who actually knows comes along, I'll tell what I know.

I've imported idf's from a program called Pads (I think)

The boards may or may not be the correct thickness (probably up to the EE to assign)

All part come in as grounded in the iam, so constraining should not be a problem, normally.

All parts from Pads are just place holders, they are not models of the actual components.

I've built a library of components that I have modeled, it doesn't take me long to replace the place holders with my models.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5

Hi KevinPinks7697, 

When you import it, you have the option of importing as a part file or an assembly file. For standards boards I typically use part, but occasionally I'll find it useful to import as an Assembly. In those cases the components come in grounded, and I'll just unground the one or two that needs to move and just reconstrain it.

You can find an example IDF file for you version here:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\Samples\Models\Translation\IDFTranslator

I'm just curious, what PCB layout program are your IDF files coming from?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 5
mflayler2
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

They will translate into an Assembly with the components already in a grounded state.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 5

PADS LS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report