Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Design Status iProperty-PDSU 2015

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
gcross
370 Views, 3 Replies

Using Design Status iProperty-PDSU 2015

Would anyone care to share their experience using the Design Status (WorkInProgress, Pending & Released)  properties on ipt, iam & IDW files in a small company

So far I have not had any known use for the Design Status iproperty beng a stand alone user & not using Vault, or any doc management or MRP/ERP system programs.

I simply use revision & sometimes a stamp symbol (for tooled parts) to indicate part or assembly as WorkInprogress, Pending or Released.

We will be hiring another engineer soon so I thought maybe now's the time to start. We will not be using any document management system for the next year at least.

What might be the benefits?

Is there any potential downside to starting to change them little at a time or must they be updated all at once. We probably have thousands of files & doing it at once would be a project.

Thanks

Gary

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: gcross

Here's how we use it here:

Work In Progress: This means the file is incomplete (not ready to be checked). We add a big red PRELIMINARY stamp symbol to drawings.

Pending: file is complete and is ready to be checked.

Released: file has been checked and is released. The PRELIMINARY stamp is deleted from the drawing before release.

We usually maintain the model iProperties, and then copy them to the drawings.

Message 3 of 4
gcross
in reply to: Anonymous

John,

I do understand the meanings of each status iProp pretty well already. What
I was after is how do the settings affect the BOM & anything else in the CAD
eco system. Do the parts & assemblies have any different behavior in the
system on a CAD level depending on their status ?

Are there things, nuances, that one should look out for? For example does
changing a part's iProp to "Released" change anything significant in Vault
behavior?

Thanks.

Gary
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: gcross

Design status does not have any effect as far as I know when not using Vault. We don't use Vault here, so I don't know if that affects anything in that scenario.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report