Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a STEP file of an air cylinder - How do I simulate the stroke?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
870 Views, 6 Replies

Using a STEP file of an air cylinder - How do I simulate the stroke?

I have a step file for a cylinder that I plan to use in my design. I can understand that the step is just a solid model with no constraints or parts. But is there a method to modify the step (or import to an IAM) so that, in this case, you can apply constraints to the cylinders carriage and simulate the cylinder's motion in Inventor?

Step file of the cable cylinder I'm trying to use is attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dcmorgan
in reply to: Anonymous

cut it up and replace the features on the step file... May be a pain in the ****, but this is all you can do with step files is modify them.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dcmorgan

Thanks! I'm new to inventor, can you go into detail a little just to give me some direction? What do you mean by cut it up?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Here's one method, use the End of Part marker to follow the method. sorry no time to write an explanation. File is saved in Inventor 2010 format.

also remember to click Update after changing the workplane offset

Message 5 of 7
dcmorgan

Well,

If you want to simulate the stroke of the cylinder, you need to cut the stroke of the cylinder off, and then replace it with your own cylinder the same length and outside diameter as the one in the step file via revolve, extrusion etc.. You can find out the dimensions of any part you want to replace by measuring it in a .idw file. Once you do this, you have full control over the stroke of the cylinder because you built the cylinder with constraints. Adjust your constraints to adjust the stroke of the cylinder.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks BMILLER63, that IPT file was a great help. Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the first few steps. What is accomplished exactly by using the copy object command to create the composite, then sculpting the composite?

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Gald it helped.

Copy object copied the entire solid as a work body

Sculpt, set to out put a new solid, converted the work body into a duplicate solid.

Then I just cut one up to remove the parts I didn't want, then did the opposite on the other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report