I have a part (several actually) that I made using the mirror command. I made these in 2012. When I converted to 2013 and set up my new appearance freindly materials, I changed the appearance for my 201 S/S matl to "Stainless Brushed". The first image is of the derived part which is stuck on a "Steel" appearance, the second image is of the base model which is correctly displaying the "Stainless Brushed" appearance. I tried playing around with the appearance overrides and I can't seem to get it to update. My assembly looks like **** with the different appearances.
For chuckles sake I'll also mention that every time "appearance" appears in the above paragraph I typed color first and corrected it.
Did you try rebuilding the model? Sometimes Inventor needs a kick in the old pants!!!
I am not running 2013 yet, but are you trying to change the material appearance in the part model or the assembly model?
I was trying to do it at the part level. I tried doing it on the assembly level just now and I was able to override it there. When I did that I opened up the part and it was still stuck on the old appearance. I tried overriding it there again, too, but still no change. The other parts are behaving the same way.
At least I'm able to get the assembly to not look retarded.
Nevermind, it looks like a close and a later reopen looses the overrides. So I'm still stuck with these ugly grey parts mated to my pretty brushed stainless parts.
Do you reuse the part or create a new part during mirror?
If you create a new one, I would also check out the cached styles in the part template file.
Can you install 2013 Update 1 and try your workflow again?
If you still see the problem after installing Update1, please attach your 2012 files to the conversation so I could have a look at them.
I create a new part when I use the mirror command.
By cached styles I assume you mean styles saved in the document? Somehow I ended up with umpteen copies of random stuff in there. Not sure how.
I installed Update 1 the day of it's release.
This is 100% a 2013 problem. They worked fine in 2012. This also happens with parts made in 2013 (as opposed to migrated like the OP example).
Example parts attached.
Thanks but could you send me the 2012 version of these files (if you still have those)? The files that you sent me were created fresh in 2013, which does not correspond with the workflow you describe in your original question.
If you say it is a 2013 problem only, I need to get a copy of your 2013 sheet metal template file as well.
In case this is a 2012- 2013 migration problem, I would need a copy of the 2012 version of the 201 S/S material style that you used (the easiest would be to export to a styxml file in 2012).
Without having access to the 2012 files I can only look at the damage the migration did.
So what is the combination that you expect to end up with in both the original and mirrored part:
Material = P&O with Color/Appearance = Stainless - Brushed (with an override to look polished and shiny)
Material = 201 S/S with Color/Appearance = Stainless - Brushed (looking dull)
Or some other combination.
Attached in zip:
My 2013 sheetmetal template (migrated from 2012)
The parts from the OP in 2013 flavor, I no longer have the 2012 versions.
Some new test parts that I made in 2012 using the default English template (my custom template was migrated) and then migrated to 2013. These seem to work fine.
My 2012 201 S/S styxml file. (Not sure why you wanted that)
Both of these parts should have a 201 S/S matl with a Stainless - Brushed appearance. P&O should carry a Plate appearance. I don't really care too much exactly what the appearance is, I just want to be able to easily differentiate between different materials in the assembly.
I'm starting to strongly suspect my template.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.