Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating mirrord part

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Marcel_
373 Views, 5 Replies

Updating mirrord part

Hello,

I have got a problem with mirrored parts: there is a mirrord part that doesn't update when I make changes on the base component. It shows a red flash next to it in the browser, but gives me no way to update it.

mirrored part not up to date.png

My workflow was:

- Make the base component

- place it in an assembly

- mirror the base component in the assembly

- constrained the mirrored part

- open the newly created mirrored part

- rename the mirrored part from wing_XS_25_right_MIR to wing_XS_25_left. I changed the name of the file itself, in the autodesk browser and in the iproperties. Other than that I made no changes to the mirrored part.

- The link to the base component exists, I can right click in the browser, choose "open base component" and the base component opens. Also I have the options "suppress linkt to base component" and "break link ...", meaning that the link is neither suppressed nor broken.

I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thank you!

Marcel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: Marcel_

Marcel,

If you renamed the mirrored part in windows explorer while the assembly was open, the software is not going to recognise the renamed part as the one that belongs in the assembly.  Not to mention renaming the part in the browser ant the properties does nothing as well besides just a different name.  There is no link between any of them.  What you need to do is after you have mirrored the part in the assembly, close the assembly out, then in windows explorer rename it.  Then call your assembly back up and RC on the mirrored part and do a component replace with the newly renamed component.

Or, if you have vault, rename the mirrored part in vault and it will maintain it's connection within the assembly and you wont have to do the replace component thing.

I hope this makes sense.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
-niels-

Uhm, without reading past your first bit about not giving a way to update it...
I can see the "update" button clearly lit in your screenshot, did you try hitting that?
(the little lightning bolt next to the undo/redo)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 6
Marcel_
in reply to: Cadmanto

hey, right the assembly did not recognize the part the next time I openend it. Therefore Inventor asked me where the part was, I selected the renamed part and all was fine. Therefore I don't see the necessity of manually replacing the part?

Marcel

Message 5 of 6
Marcel_
in reply to: -niels-

wow I never knew this button, thanks! Man Embarassed

Message 6 of 6
Ray_Feiler

Just so you know you can give the mirrored part the name you wish while in the mirror command. This will save you a step.

"My workflow was:

- Make the base component

- place it in an assembly

- mirror the base component in the assembly

- constrained the mirrored part

- open the newly created mirrored part

- rename the mirrored part from wing_XS_25_right_MIR to wing_XS_25_left."

Mirror.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report