Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating *.idw files of iParts

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
djbrown
986 Views, 2 Replies

Updating *.idw files of iParts

I've recently started using iParts to build some of the more common parts we use where I work, but have noticed that the *.idw file doesn't update automatically when editing parts in the base *.ipt file as it does with files that are not iParts. 

The example I have is an iPart file with 35 individual parts in it.  I have a 35 sheet *.idw file that corresponds to the iPart file showing a drawing of each part.  The files it uses to make the views for the parts used in the *.idw is in a subfolder created by Inventor called "C-PIM".  The files in that folder are called C-PIM-01.ipt, C-PIM-02.ipt, etc. up to C-PIM-35 and show each distinct part and these files are not editable.  They are only an image of the information called in from the base C-PIM.ipt file. 

When I do a revision to one of the parts in the base , in order to have it update in the C-PIM.idw file, I currently need to go open the files in the "C-PIM" folder and hit the "Local Update" icon to get it to update and then the idw file updates from there.  If I have an update that affects 20 of the configurations, that means I have to open up 20 files and update them individually, which can be time consuming, so, here is the question:

Is there a way to get the *.idw file to recognize all the changes in the base *.ipt file automatically or by using a single command, or do I need to go through the files in the subfolder one-by-one to get it to incorporate these changes?

Thanks,

Dan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Allen_Hart
in reply to: djbrown

You need to use "Generate Files" from the RMB menu to save changes to iPart members.  In the master iPart file, expand the Table node in the browser, select the members to be updated, then RMB for a menu of options.  (see screen shot attached)

Message 3 of 3
djbrown
in reply to: Allen_Hart

Allen,

Thanks a lot for the help, that is EXACTLY what I needed!  It was driving me nuts not knowing how to do it.

Thanks again,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report