Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating an "ungrabbable" hatch

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
graemev
745 Views, 16 Replies

Updating an "ungrabbable" hatch

How does one update a weld hatch in a section view when no hatch lines are visible?

How I got to this point:

-  Created an assembly

-  Created the IDW and sectioned the base view

-  Changed the assembly to a weldment

-  Added welds

-  Open the IDW to find no hatching in the welds

I'm assuming the welds' hatch pattern is too coarse to show up in any section area, considering all welds are treated as a single hatch.  Just my luck.  So how does one edit the welds' hatch if it isn't showing anywhere?

I would simply sketch them in with a view-based sketch but for the fact that I have several detail views as children of the section, each showing weld details.  That's a lot of manual razzamatazz for not being able to edit one hatch pattern.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: graemev

Hi graemev,

If you edit the view, and increase it's scale can see the hatch then? If so then you should be able to edit the hatch and set the pattern scale smaller, and then edit the view to set the scale back to what you had it at originally.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 17
graemev
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

That's a startlingly bright idea.

Nice try, no cigar, even when 16 times larger scale.

I have already tried enlarging a weld in search of a hatch.  Still cigar-free.

Next?

(I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to require a fresh section.)

Message 4 of 17
LT.Rusty

It'll be an annoying workaround, but what about going into the styles and changing the default hatch for the material?  If you change it to something like diamond plate or the concrete texture, you'll almost certainly have something clickable.  Change the scale to something ridiculously tiny, then go back and change the default back?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
graemev
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Another very good idea.

Swing & a miss.

I suspect the hatch for the welds does not get created if the section has been made either prior to the assembly getting welds, or perhaps after conversion to a weldment, and that there is no way to force the update.

ETA:  A new section of the base view doesn't generate weld hatches either, nor does a fresh drawing cure the problem.

Colour me befuddled.

Message 6 of 17
LT.Rusty

@graemev wrote:

Another very good idea.

Swing & a miss.

I suspect the hatch for the welds does not get created if the section has been made either prior to the assembly getting welds, or perhaps after conversion to a weldment, and that there is no way to force the update.

Set your selection filter to part priority (shift + right-click), right-click on a weld beat, and change Section Participation?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi graemev,

Are the components that are not getting hatched in a sub-assembly (or multiple sub-assemblies) ?

I seem to recall an issue that there was an issue related to improper sectioning/hatching in sub-assemblies with weldments, but I don't recall the specifics.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 17
graemev

I've never even heard of that, but no joy.  Strangely, there is no check mark to indicate current setting.  Is that normal?

Message 9 of 17
graemev
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Are the components that are not getting hatched in a sub-assembly (or multiple sub-assemblies) ?

Just the welds, and it's only a top level assembly - all parts and CC components below.

Message 10 of 17
LT.Rusty

@graemev wrote:

I've never even heard of that, but no joy.  Strangely, there is no check mark to indicate current setting.  Is that normal?

Seems to be normal - that's the way it behaves on my side, too.

It does sound like your hatch is not getting created for some reason.  I just tried the thing with editing the hatch styles, and it worked for me, as did the turning section participation on and off.  Might have to create a new section view? 

I mean if worst comes to worst, you can always create a new sketch on that view, project the geometry of the welds, and then manually add hatching.  That would suck though, if you've got a lot of welds to go through.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 17
graemev

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Seems to be normal - that's the way it behaves on my side, too.

It does sound like your hatch is not getting created for some reason.  I just tried the thing with editing the hatch styles, and it worked for me, as did the turning section participation on and off.  Might have to create a new section view? 

I mean if worst comes to worst, you can always create a new sketch on that view, project the geometry of the welds, and then manually add hatching.  That would suck though, if you've got a lot of welds to go through.

Starting with a new drawing did nothing.  New base view, new section, no weld hatch.  Very odd.

Of note: edges of the weld solids are being projected, as is normal.  Only the hatching is missing.

Message 12 of 17
LT.Rusty

Where did you go to edit the default hatch?  There's two different places where you can do stuff involving hatching.

I'm sure you know about all this, but just to make sure we're on the same page ...

Set the scale to something ridiculously tiny, like .005 or something, and check double.  Your welds should turn almost solid black.

Is this what you've already tried?

Capture.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
graemev

Yep.  Exact spot.  No change.  (I usually change the weld hatch to ANSI 31 and a scale of 0.001 so that it simulates a fill pattern.)

Message 14 of 17
LT.Rusty

Okay, then I'm pretty much out of ideas.

At this point in my own work I'd probably just fall back on create sketch --> project edges --> manually add hatch.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
graemev

Yup.  That's what I've done.

Message 16 of 17
LT.Rusty

Sorry we couldn't come up with a better solution for you. 😞

Rusty

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
graemev

Not to worry.  I do find it both odd and encouraging that most of the problems I run into with Inventor wind up either getting escalated, or sent over to development.  Most of the rest are of the... err... "PEBCAK" variety.  Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report