Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update idw file

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
odumitre
661 Views, 3 Replies

Update idw file

Hello,

I use Inventor 2015 and I've created a quite large assembly and also a idw drawing for this.

From this assembly I want to create some other children of this with some different particularities, some parts are larger, smaller… I used Design Assistant to create these children assemblies and it worked well. Now I want to create the children idw drawings for all of these assemblies. The problem is that the new idw files refer to the old assemblies where I copied from.

Is there a way that I can create a new drawing from an old one but assign to the views of this the other assemblies? I this way I will not have to create new drawing for each version of a parent assembly.

Thanks,

odumitre

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
swalton
in reply to: odumitre

One way to fix your existing new drawings is to use the "replace reference model" command in the idw environment. 

1. Open your drawing of the old assembly.

2. "Save Copy As" that drawing to make your new drawing file.  It will still reference the old assembly file. (if you already have copied drawings, just open them)

3. Go to the "Manage Tab" in the new drawing.

4. Click on "replace reference model"

5. Select the old model in the drawing file and replace it with the new one. 

If all the components in the new file are copies of components in the old assembly, most, if not all, of your dimensions, notes, etc will not be lost.  You can keep the lost annotations by going to your tool/document settings menu and selecting the "preserve drawing annotations" before using the "replace reference model" command.

In the future, I think you can use the Design Assistant to copy the drawings too.  I am not sure of the workflow because I use the Copy Design in Vault for this type of work.  In fact, I originally set up a test Vault years ago because I found Design Assistant too cumbersome. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: swalton

You might want to look at iparts/iassemblies too versus just copying files and changing them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 4
odumitre
in reply to: swalton

Thank you very much for your answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report