Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update all parts within an Assembly?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
SeanFarr
948 Views, 9 Replies

Update all parts within an Assembly?

It is possible to create parts that can update there size from changing the "root" (possibly called the derived-from part??) dimensions. I have a tubular frame structure and there is sheet metal components that enclose this structure.

We make these units in 2 standard sizes, but in the last few months, we have been getting requests from clients for extra components to be installed or sometimes components to be removed. This changes the size of the unit. Also depending on which mine they go to, some need to be shorter or longer and wider or narrower.

I have created a frame that I can change easily to to required dimensions, but it would be a dream if all the sheet metal components updated to the frame size. Most times these doors and sheet metal components stay in the same location, so if everything updated with a simple change to the frame size, that would make my job easier, and leave me more time to create new products.

I can't upload any files due to size, but I have attached a few screen shot to clarify things. Basically it is a frame unit, with doors and access panels to electrical components inside.

Thanks

Sean

Inventor Pro 2012

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: SeanFarr

@SeanFarr wrote:

It is possible to create parts that can update there size from changing the "root" (possibly called the derived-from part??) dimensions.

...it would be a dream if all the sheet metal components updated to the frame size.

... can't upload do to size

Yes, very easy.

Your dream can be reality.

Did you roll up the EOP?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
SeanFarr
in reply to: JDMather

Yea, I tried uploading just the frame a few weeks back for some and that alone was just over the upload limit. I ended up uploading the frame to the AUGI forum. But there isn't much traffic over there as there is here. 

I am going through my bible, hah( Mastering Inventor 2012), to try and find out how to create those adaptive parts. Any pointers where I could start, so I can start re-modeling one of these units?

Thanks JD,

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 4 of 10

Hi SeanFarr,

Adaptivity might cause some issues, depending on how the parts are reused (recall that parts can only be adaptive in one assembly, etc.).

Linking your parts to parameters in the frame skeleton might offer a more robust solution (see the bottom of page 327 of your book).

If you can view youtube.com, here is a quick video by Thom Tremblay showing the steps to link parameters between parts:

http://youtu.be/Q8Qt5hs7xpE?hd=1&t=1m43s

Using ilogic would be another way to quickly configure and drive updates in the assembly.

You might make a small simple test assembly to work through the workflow, rather than working with the actualy production files. Often that can be helpful.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 10

Thanks, Curtis, yea I realized after I wrote that, I didn't actually mean the adaptivity feature in inventor, I just meant for the sheet metal parts to "change" when I updated the frame.

So linking the parameters between the files is what I am looking for then? Make each sheet metal part based off the frame parameters, so when the frame is changed, the sheet metal parts will update as needed?

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 6 of 10
SeanFarr

Is there any other references to go along with the youtube video and your book? I would like to get as much info on this before I start, to try and avoid issues. It seems pretty straight forward, but I'm sure I will run into some pretty tricky situations.

JD, I know you have lots of pdf's created, do any of them touch on parameter linking for file updating in assemblies?

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 7 of 10

Hi SeanFarr,

Linking parameters is a pretty easy task, once you step through the process you'll get the hang of it.

However, I'd suggest creating a very simple frame and some simple panels to work with for testing this out. I know it's hard to step back from your production work when you're in the middle of it, but I assure you that you'll learn the workflow quicker by working with a simplified data set. It'll help you with posting files for future questions that might arise also.

Note too that if I were starting from scratch I'd likely use a derived part as a template for all of the parts that make up the "skin". The template would have the frame already derived into it as parameters and/or a surface body. This is basically a type of skeletal modeling.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@SeanFarr wrote:

JD, I know you have lots of pdf's created, do any of them touch on parameter linking for file updating in assemblies?

I don't have anything written on it as it is trivially easy (once you understand the process - start on a small project).

There are actually several variations.

I prefer a master model approach where I then Derive Component to get the individual parts (for the sheet metal).

Search here http://www.mcadforums.com in the Tutorials section for tutorials on Skeletal Modeling, Master Modeling or Muscular Modeling.  I think these might make it seem a bit more difficult than it is.  I learned by trial and error.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
SeanFarr

I have uploaded a test assembly to the AUGI forum due to file size uploaded.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?143448-Update-all-parts-within-an-Assembly

After reviewing those previous posts, and videos, I think I have a handle on how to proceed. Have a peek at the assembly if you have time, this is new to me, so there could be some unforeseen issues that can arise once I attempt to try this on one of our actual products.

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 10 of 10
SeanFarr

I have found my first issue, when creating parts within the assembly, I use projected geometry to constrain some of my sketches for part creation. I shouldn't have done this, because that makes those parts need adaptivity to change if I change the frame? I needed to create each part separately and use only the linked parameters from the frame? And use mating constraints for placement and location instead of work planes and axis's ?

Also if I create a part, called part A that uses linked parameters from the frame, it would only make sense that I could create part B linking it to part A parameters, and if i were to change the frame parameters, all parts would update correctly? Flow would be-  FRAME change, then--> Part A updated, then-->Part B updated. Or does this cause confusion within Inventor? I suppose a small test could answer my question. Haha

Thanks

Sean Farr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report