Distinguished Contributor
guyh
Message 1 of 44 (1,026 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unresolved link to Content Content Center files after file cache move

1026 Views, 43 Replies
11-24-2011 07:07 AM

Hi,

I have moved the Inventor Content Center ipt files created when the users place a part.  The project file has been updated to reflect this but when I open an assembly to test all is well I have unresolved links with the assembly still looking to the old location for the IPT files.

I am at a loss as to what may be wrong as I thought the project file would control where Inventor looks to automatically resolve these links?  My only idea is that because we have German, French and English users the relevant folders contain the same parts and inventor can not pick between them?

Thanks for any help.

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 2 of 44 (1,020 Views)

Re: Unresolved link to Content Content Center files after file cache move

11-24-2011 08:36 AM in reply to: guyh

Dear Guy,

Please, have a look at the solution http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1069689 .

The concepts are valid for later releases as well.

If this won’t help, please, provide more details about the problem, as, for instance, the previous and the current Content Center File folder path of the active project.

Thanks and regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
Product Support Technical Lead
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
guyh
Message 3 of 44 (1,016 Views)

11-24-2011 09:32 AM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Hello Alessando,

Thank you for the reply.

My issue is caused I believe because we have to move the CC files from one network drive to another.

original Path:  "P:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC"

new Path: "L:\INV_CC_2011"

The folders inside are identical.  fr-FR,de-DE,en-US

Project file is configured to L:\INV_CC_2011

Use Unique File Names=Yes

Currently the old path still exists but will be shut down soon.  When we open an assembly with CC parts we have to Resolve the links and they default to the original folder path.  Should Inventor not look in the new path for the files and automatically resolve links?

I would add I am working in English and the files I have tested are from France.  Regarding the link provided.  I would be very happy if this could be done but it is almost an impossible task to ask the French users to have an English display.

Cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 4 of 44 (1,003 Views)

11-25-2011 12:28 AM in reply to: guyh

Thanks for the update Guy.

Actually, applying the suggestions from the solution will change just the CC Standard Parts names from French to English, for instance, and not the general Inventor UI, of course.

This is recommended when users using Inventor in different languages, share the Content Center File folder.

By the way, even without doing that, please, make a simple test and let me know how it goes.

• Please, move the CC files from “P:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC” to “L:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC”.
  • Set the new Content Center File path in the active project and open an assembly that contains the CC Standard Parts.

Kind regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
guyh
Message 5 of 44 (997 Views)

11-25-2011 02:03 AM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Hi Alessandro,

I did the test exactly as you described.  The CC parts are unresolved so Inventor asks me to resolve them.  It starts by looking in the workspace and not the CC location as configured by the project file.

I am at a loss with this a bit as it is going to cause a lot of issues for our users and we make the switch this weekend.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 6 of 44 (995 Views)

11-25-2011 02:17 AM in reply to: guyh

Hi Guy.

Please, try the following.

• Edit the project.
  • Add the path “L:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC” under the Workgroup Search Paths as well, disregarding the warnings.

project.png

• Open the main assemblies containing the Standard Parts. You should not get the Resolve Link dialogs.
  • If this is the case, save the assemblies, edit the project and remove the path from the Workgroup Search Paths.
  • Try to open the same assemblies and tell me how it goes.

Thanks and regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
guyh
Message 7 of 44 (993 Views)

11-25-2011 02:35 AM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Hi Alessandro,

I tried this and it still fails.  The resolve file dialogue box opens in the workspace. 

Is there any issue caused by my project file being outside the workspace?  I didn't think this caused a problem but I'm trying to consider everything.

I could create a video of what I am doing in case you are able to see a mistake from me.

Thanks

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 8 of 44 (992 Views)

11-25-2011 03:13 AM in reply to: guyh

Hi Guy,

If you edit your project and set in the CC File folder path the old path P:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC, can you open the assemblies without the Resolving Link dialog?

If yes, theoretically there is no reason why, moving the CC Files to another mapped disk and (important) keeping the same folder structure (i.e.: L:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC), you should get the resolve link.

By the way, please try this one and let me how it goes.

• Edit the project.
  • Add the path “L:\CAD_POOLS\INV_CC” under the Workgroup Search Paths.
  • Edit the CC File Path pointing to an empty folder.

project2.png

• Open the main assemblies containing the Standard Parts. You should not get the Resolve Link dialogs.
  • If this is the case, save the assemblies, edit the project and remove the path from the Workgroup Search Paths and set it for the CC File folder.

Project3.png

• Try to open the same assemblies.

If the problem persists, yes, it could be helpful having the videos that show how you have replaced the old path with the new path and how you have applied this last suggestion.

Thanks and regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
guyh
Message 9 of 44 (984 Views)

11-25-2011 05:02 AM in reply to: alessandro.gasso

Hi Alessandro,

I really appreciate the help.

I changed the CC location to the original P: location and the assembly resolved with no problems.

I changed to the L: location with the same folder structure under it (identical) and the assembly would not resolve.

I then followed your instructions for the work group and received the non-unique file dialogue (see attached).  I selected a folder and OK but the assembly opened as unresolved.  These files are likely 2008 format so I need to migrate them but the files on L: are a direct copy of P:  If I were to move the files would that make a difference to using copy?

Thanks

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Product Support
alessandro.gasso
Message 10 of 44 (978 Views)

11-25-2011 06:09 AM in reply to: guyh

Hi Guy,

Not sure I’ve understood your last question.

About the message you receive, this is normal, since, due to the mix of languages, you have different file with the same names under subfolder of same level.

I’m sending you in attachment a video that hopefully will help you to detect if you are doing something wrong.

In the first part of the video you can see that I have no problem after I move the CC file folder on another server until I don’t change the folder structure.

Once I change it, adding another subfolder, I get the Resolve Link problem as well.

So, I apply my last suggestion for resolving it.

As you can see, as well, I get the same message, since I’ve also inserted the same standard part with two different languages, but, selecting the folder, I can resolve them with no problem.

By the way, if you remove from one of the two subfolders one duplicate file, Inventor should automatically take the other one.

I hope you can find the video helpful.

Thanks and regards,

Alessandro

Alessandro Gasso
MFG - Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.