Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock File without Vault

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
skempnich
1294 Views, 10 Replies

Unlock File without Vault

We acquired a company a few years back and in doing so we inherited all their legacy drawings. They were using Invetor with the Vault. We however have never had the Vault and will not in any foreseeable future. I do however have multiple files that were checked out of the Vault therefore I can not modify and save them. Is there anyway to unlock these files without going through the Vault? Thank you for your help.

Steve

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
swalton
in reply to: skempnich

Vault sets the Windows file permissions to control read/write access to the file. 

You should be able to right-click on the files in Windows Explorer and remove the read-only atribute check-mark.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 11
Cadmanto

What is happening when you try and open the model files?  The drawing files the only thing that is tied to vault is the revision table and block within the title block.  Those can be replaced and that will break that link.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 11
jletcher

Not sure if this still works but you can give it a try cbliss wrote this back in R10.

It is a stand alone .exe just double click and it runs ....

I changed the file extention to .ipt so I could post it make sure you change the file extention back to .exe

Good Luck..

Message 5 of 11
jletcher
in reply to: jletcher

how to use just be in project with files or you can browse for a directory and hit unreserved it will go through all files and unreserve them

Message 6 of 11
skempnich
in reply to: swalton

From what I can see the "Read-only" attribute is already un-checked.

Message 7 of 11
skempnich
in reply to: Cadmanto

I get a prompt stating "File is checked out by USERNAME. Save is not allowed."
Message 8 of 11
skempnich
in reply to: jletcher

Thank you, I might try this but my company is very, very picky about using programs like this on their network. I am not sure the risk is worth the reward.
Message 9 of 11

Hi skempnich,

If jletcher's suggestion does not work, I would recommend trying to set up a test Vault with an admin user (or have your friendly IT professional do so), and use it to remove the file reservation for the files in question. I think this should work, but I don't recall for certain all of the details about what's in play:

Remove File Reservation

These links might help:

Remove File Reservation

Remove File Reservation

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/Help/ENU/?guid=GUID-1E7F05E7-2585-4958-A24E-12E9AF88A926

Remove File Reservation

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2012/10/gimme-my-file-back-undo-checkout-and-remove-re...

If you're able to get the files into Vault and remove the file reservation, then I think you should be able to use the Get Latest Version tool to get a copy without the reservation flag set. You might want to run this by the Vault forum to see if those users have any suggestions also:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/bd-p/101 

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11
jletcher

I understand do you have a computer not hoked up to network you can use to do it? or post file here and I will run it for you I am on 2012...

Message 11 of 11
Cadmanto

I think setting up the test vault is the way to go.  Infact you said you inherited these files.  Is there any chance the vault from which these files were checked out of is still operative?  If so you can go to that vault and relinquish ownership.  Even if you are not the original person who checked them out.  but you have to be an administrator to do so.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report