Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown error occurring each time I try to save my work

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BartATE
810 Views, 4 Replies

Unknown error occurring each time I try to save my work

L.S.,

Sometimes my external hard disk accidentally disconnects from my pc, then right after it connects again.
When this happens, Inventor suddenly won't save the files I'm working on anymore.
Inventor stated that an unknown error occurred when it tried to access the file path. I don't have any problems when I manually access this filepath.
It's strange because there is no relation between Inventor and my external drive; the parts I'm working on and all of Inventors components are installed on my internal drive. The shown errors are enclosed as attachment. They aren't very helpful, and I don't know what to do with them.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: BartATE

I have this happen occasionally with network attached storage, if there is a power saving mode enabled. The hard drives go to sleep and the path is unavailable.
Message 3 of 5
BartATE
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous : That could be the cause if I would save things on my external disk, but I save all things on the same disk my OS is placed on. Also, auto-turnoff is disabled for all my drives. It's pretty annoying because all the progress i made since the last save is lost. Thus I have to save my files very often to minimize the loss. Thanks for you reply

Message 4 of 5
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: BartATE

hi Bart,

if your computer has a 2nd (internal) disk, are you able to try to just use that one instead for your inventor files & other data storage? ...(you will need to have a new project with the different workspace...)

btw, i am suspicious that your pc is routinely experiencing an event that is not only causing your external disk to disconnect, but other internals to disconnect. i would investigate the event viewer next time it happens. it may even be something like a windows resource / power management task.

ps- even if the test proves unfruitful, i would consider leaving your workspace on the other disk to keep your OS and program files free of clutter.

hope this helps.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 5 of 5
BartATE
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

I've got only one disk where my OS, Inventor, the .ipt files i'm working on, and everything else is stored.
The external disk has nothing to do with any of this, but it does cause this error, because I always and only get the error when the external disk has disconnected a moment before. This behaviour somehow affects the system or Inventor and causes it to return this error. The short term solution is just to not use this external disk while working in inventor, but this is rather frustrating because all of my other files are stored on that disk. I'll keep an eye on event viewer, and hopefully i'll get the answer there, but i'm afraid it won't help me.. NB: i've already disabled the auto-suspend timer of external disks, so this is not what causes the disk to disconnect, this happens totaly random.
Thanks for your effort

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report