Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units of Measure

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
marcel3113
830 Views, 7 Replies

Units of Measure

Is it possible to change the units of measure in the iProperties from lbmass to tons for instance? I deal with very large, heavy concrete objects and tons is the way we show mass.  Also use cubic yards instead of cubic inches.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: marcel3113

Here is where you can change units. I believe that volume is based on the length setting, however there isn't yards or tons. I don't think it's possible to add it.

Capture.PNG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
marcel3113
in reply to: mrattray

Thank you for the help.  Definitely doesn't look like you can add different categories in there.  But very helpful.  Do you know if there is some way in a parts list to create a custom column and convert the lbsmass to some other mass unit?

Message 4 of 8
jletcher

You can use ilogic to convert then link it to a custom property..

Message 5 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

Exactly what I was about to suggest.
Create a numeric user parameter, check export, and then create a rule. Paste this into the rule:
mass = iProperties.Mass/2000
Where "mass" is the name of the parameter you created earlier.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 8
marcel3113

Sorry, I am new to this.  Here is what I did.  I created a user parameter called mass and checked Export Parameter.  I created a rule that is as you mentioned, mass = iProperties.Mass/2000.  I called the rule mass conversion.

In the new user parameter that i created I have the following questions:

1. Should this rule be in the part or assembly?

2. What should the units be (ul)?

3. What should the equation be?

The Driving Rule is showing the "mass conversion" rule I created.

Once I get this correct, how do i get the information to show up in the parts list, if you can get it to that is?

Thanks for your help and your patience with us new comers.

Message 7 of 8
mrattray

It sounds like you did it correctly.
1) Rule should be in every part you need a non-standard mass in.
2) Units doesn't matter. I used UL when I tested the line.
3) The equation is irrelevant; anything you change it to will be immediately overridden by the rule.

You need to edit your parts list by double clicking it. Activate the column chooser and add a mass column (if you don't have one already). RMB on the column header (for the mass column) and click "format column". Somewhere on that menu (you may have to switch tabs) is a "enable value substitution" check box. Check it and under the drop down set it to your "mass" property that you created. Once you've done this, any part that you have added this rule to should show mass in tons, any part without the rule should show mass in pounds.
No lack of patience here, in fact I would be more social if I wasn't trying to get this drawing done...
Welcome to the forums, by the way.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 8
marcel3113

Does this work with iParts or just standard parts?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report