Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units oddity

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
donovandigital
553 Views, 11 Replies

Units oddity

When I create an assembly with any metric template, the drawing units still show as inches. Do I need to somehow repair the template? Is there perhaps a backup of the template somewhere that I can simply copy over? Is there some way to override the global setting for the individual document?

Thanks

Joe

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: donovandigital

The units style is part of the drawing template.

With the drawing open go to tools..document settings and look at the active standard.. Then you can go into the style manager and see what the units are for that standard.

Most simply have an "inches" template and "metric" template if they do that a lot.. Or even a dual units dimension style. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
donovandigital
in reply to: mcgyvr

Under standard I see...

General> Active Lighting style and display appearance,

Physical> material

The units tab seems to do what I want, but I'm assuming your suggestion makes it global? 

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

@donovandigital wrote:

>When I create an assembly with any metric template,

Then the assembly units should be metric (this does not change the part units).

If not, post back for solution.

>the drawing units still show as inches. ...

You never stated what drawing template you started from.  (this is not controlled by your parts or assembly units)

Did you start from a metric drawing template or did you start from an inch drawing template?

Units can be changed for any and all, but first let's figure out exactly what the problem is.

If you are starting your drawing from an inch drawing template - problem solved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
mcgyvr

@donovandigital wrote:

Under standard I see...

Physical> material

The units tab seems to do what I want, but I'm assuming your suggestion makes it global? 

I meant with the idw/dwg file open.. NOT assembly/part.

But yes.. follow along/answer JD too.. Seems like you just don't understand how the templates/units work. and the style library 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 12
donovandigital

Under standard I see...

Physical> material

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

Sounds to my like you are still looking in the wrong place. (that sounds like iam or ipt, not idw or dwg)

Can you attach screen capture?

Styles and Standards.PNG

You never answered my question (what template).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Let's try again.

Your question was about your drawing.

Open your drawing. (a drawing will be a *.dwg or a *.idw file)

Go to the Manage>Styles and Standards Editor.

What does Inventor report as your current Standard?

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
donovandigital

Rebuilt the project with sreengrabs. Opened the styles dialog in a 3d model sketch. Note that the option jdmaher suggested is absent completely?

1.GIF

2.GIF

3.GIF

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

@donovandigital wrote:

When I create an assembly with any metric template, the drawing units still show as inches. ...

I think I might have completely mis-understood your problem.

When I saw the words "drawing units" I assumed you were referring to a 2D document - creating a 2D drawing idw or dwg file from your asssembly iam file.

But in every post since then - you have only referred to assembly files.

Now I suspect that you might be referring to Document Units rather than "drawing units".

Document Units is found under Tools>Document Settings>Units.

You can change this and the Save As>Save As Template to replace your template.

If this doesn't solve your problem (or isn't your real problem) then attach the file you highlighted in your last post.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
mcgyvr

Both JD and I assumed you were talking about the idw/dwg file.. (drawing) 

If your iam (assembly) template that should be metric is using inches then simply "OPEN" the template iam file (not new file.. OPEN) .. Go to tools..document settings.. units tab and change it to metric. Then save and close the template file.. Now whenever you create a new assembly from that metric iam template it will be in the units you specified.

The same can be done with the existing assembly file BUT if you don't change/save the template file itself per the steps above the next time you create another the units will still be incorrect. 

Message 12 of 12
donovandigital

Sorry guys this one was my fault. I was not selecting a metric template when I made new parts after creating the assembly.

Thanks for all your help

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report