Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit String

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
s.mccarthy
1591 Views, 8 Replies

Unit String

Hello,

I have had a request to display imperial dimensions using a unit string "in." (no quotes). The default Inventor 2011 display does not include the period. Can the default be modified, or a new option added to the list?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Ktelang
in reply to: s.mccarthy

Hello,

Work around but you can add a

suffix as a period in Dimension style.

For angle dimensions create a different dimension style

without the suffix.

Hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Config :: Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz, 16.0 GB, 64bit win7
Inventor 2013 and Vault Basic 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
s.mccarthy
in reply to: Ktelang

Thank you. I forgot about those.

Message 4 of 9
s.mccarthy

The request changed again. I have been asked if the dimension display can be changed to append a period after the "in" along with changing the brackets for alternate units to parentheses. (Adding the period as a suffix appends it to the end of the string.)

So I need to get to this...

10.0 in. (254 mm)

...from this...

10.0 in [254 mm].

Anyone?

Message 5 of 9
Rich.O.3d

how about using the inch symbol

ie. 8"

After dealing with drawing offices in Europe, China, India, RSA and Australia for the best part of 25 years, i have never annotated a drawing with ' in ' for inches I have always used "

I have been adding this to wish lists since inventor7

Can someone pleasantly surprise me and tell me this feature got added at some time over the last 5 years.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 6 of 9
SBix26

>>along with changing the brackets for alternate units to parentheses.

This seems like a really bad idea, since parentheses are used to indicate reference dimensions.  I suppose they could make the argument that alternate unit dimensions are reference dimensions.

Message 7 of 9
s.mccarthy
in reply to: SBix26

Whether or not you may feel that this is a "..really bad idea..." is actually irrelevant. This is an issue of being able to, or not being able to, meet a client's specific request, however obtuse that may be. For that job, the only workaround I came across was to override the dimensions, which is the worst possible answer. I had to place copious notes on the drawings indicating which dimensions were overridden so I could track the inevitable changes/revisions. A huge waste of my time, and the client's money. I do it differently now, by using 2 separate dimensions with different styles. The dimensions are co-linear and I have to position each correctly so that no portion of either dimension line shows between the 2 values (looks like a 'minus' sign otherwise). Still extra work, but the dimension values update correctly, which is the important issue.

A "Worst Case" scenario regarding my mistrust of overridden dimensions: I recently finished a structural steel job where all of the layout data was provided in a dwg format. Many of the dimensions were overridden by several individuals, and to their credit, were notated. As a result, however, the values in the dimension strings did not add up. I pointed this out to the client, who responded "Don't worry about it. We'll take care of it in the field." In the interests of CYA, I was forced to request, and received, a release of liability prior to submitting my data. Apparently they are still "..taking care of it..." as the job has exceeded budget due to "Field Modifications."

Message 8 of 9
dan_inv09

You could always make a parameter for each thing you will be dimensioning in the drawing (presumably most of your drawing dimensions would already be model dimensions) and make a user parameter referencing each of those which would have the other units. Then you put text in your dimension with the parameters and whatever formatting you would like and hide the dimension value. It shouldn't take too much more work that overriding all your dimensions, and you shouldn't have to worry about them not updating.

Message 9 of 9
ulasdeniz

Sorry as an metric guy I don't know how to type measurements in imperial units in dimensions when I in sketch mode. My template is  imperial. I know how to type  inch and fraction and I Can set up it. (E.g. 5 1/2"  as typing 5 + Space +  1/2 and it shows automatically 5 1/2)  Hovewer I cannot type the 5' 3 1/2" without typing each qoute and double qoute. Any help please. 

Ulaş Deniz

Forumlarımızda çözülen sorularınızı "ÇÖZÜM OLARAK KABUL ET" ( "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" ) seçimiyle işaretlemeyi lütfen unutmayın.
Beğendiğiniz mesajları lütfen "Övgü Puanı" (KUDO) ile ödüllendirin.
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkJpVueGScmJvW1RIgqttSg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report