Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unit formatting in parts list

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
271 Views, 1 Reply

unit formatting in parts list

Ok guys, I've got a new one. 

I have a part that is purchased as a set of two (2). I list it in all parts lists as a set so I want the qty to show as one (1). I have set up a user property bom_qty with a base qty of .5 and in a parts list I use substitution when bom_qty exists and apply unit formatting as unitless (ul), and have it display the sum. 

This works well unless you want to make structured parts list with all levels. 

Now for the strange part. If I expand the levels of the subassemblies so I can see the part in question, I do need to bubble it on the drawing, it shows the correct count until I make the parent assembly invisible. When I do this the qty changes to "Incompatible Units Error." 

I just want to bubble the parts inside this subassembly on the drawing along with some other subassemblies. 

If it makes it any clearer, Its a drive for a machine where the drive unit is an assembly made up of purchased parts mounted on a drive base that is manufactured by us and a guard. I need to bubble the purchased parts and show how they fit together. I also need to bubble the drive guard, and drive base as subassemblies that are referenced to other drawings. 

Why does the formating change when I make the parent of the drive assembly invisible? Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks.

Inv2015

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I looked at changing the BOM structure in iproperties to phantom for a specific occurrence but the only choice is default or reference.

so a work around would be have an assembly in an assembly.  the sub assembly as (default) phantom.  Then you wouldn't have to create bom_qty just use the relevant assembly where you need it.

It's a little messy but probably the best that can be done.

Otherwise make a wish (at the idea station), and wait forever for it to be implemented (maybe 10 releases later).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report