Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique file naming from a library or content center

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
430 Views, 4 Replies

Unique file naming from a library or content center

Hi,

I'm having some problems giving certain parts in my assembly a unique file name. Im reorganizing all of my projects in a

- content center
- designs
- libraries

way, where my projects are under designs and commonly used parts under libraries.

Now i have something like a pump. I can derrive this assembly into a solid and put it in the content center, or keep the assembly and put it in the libaries folder. since this is a part i use in multiple projects.

Now my problem is that this pump has a different name in every project, and a library part doesn't allow me to change this name. Say standard name is "centrifugal pump" while the name in project 1 would be P101, while in project 2 it has to be named P501 and so on in order to match with the flowcharts.

Is my only option here creating a solid out of these components and putting it all in my content center ( leaving my libraries folder totally empty ), adding it as a custom part afterwards ( so i can rename it ). I rather have it in my library folder, since this will keep my design folder organized without hundreds of duplicates of this pump, using different names. Besides i rather have it as an assembly so i can assign the connecting tubes of the pump to different sub assemblies of piping.

Different example, a butterfly valve excists out of 3 parts. the valve itself, and 2 connecting tubes. possible to dissemble. all 3 parts need to have the same file naming say XV900. 1 side of the valve needs to be assigned to pipe-01 while the other side of the valve needs to be assigned to pipe-02. Content center doesn't allow me to split files, but allows me to use unique file names. A library party allows me to split files ( if not read only ) but doesn't allow me to change names.

I hope it's all clear.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Nobody any ideas how to deal with this?

Message 3 of 5
jeanchile

You can have iProperty fields be custom in a table driven iPart. We create these items as iParts (even with one line) with a custom Tag # iProperty that we enter upon insertion. Will this work for your workflow?
Inventor Professional
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jeanchile

This may sound like a possible sollution. How can i actually make this work? When i insert a part from the content center, i can't change anything in Iproperties, due to the fact that it's read only. Besides these valves are single .ipt's no iparts.

Message 5 of 5
jeanchile

I apologize but I don't have a ton of time to devote to this entire week. I'll give you some places to get started and I'll have to get back to this later if you can't figure it out.

1.) Create these valves as a table driven iPart in a library, not a content center file

2.) Set one of the iProperty columns (like Tag # or something) to be a "Custom Parameter Column" (see picture)

3.) When you place the iPart the dialog box will allow you to enter the custom iProperty (Tag #) and will allow you to change the save location of the newly created part (child) from the table driven iPart (parent)

This should get you going in the right direction as far as my suggestion goes. I cannot speak intelligently about your entire workflow but by using a table driven iPart (not a content center file) you should be able to get this to work for you. There may be a way to do this using CC but we don't do it that way so you'll have to get help from someone else in that case.

Good Luck.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report