Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique File Names = YES or NO ?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
195 Views, 10 Replies

Unique File Names = YES or NO ?

In what situations is it an advantage to set Unique File Names = YES in the project file?

On our system AIS-R10 + SP2

It makes it about - 3 times slower to open an IDW file based on an IAM file.

Makes my Design Assistant - 10 times slower.

And my Pack & Go - 5 times slower.

I think that the performance lack is depending on the database size.

A big database = slow performance. When Unique File Names = YES.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Korrection:
It doesn't makes it about - 3 times slower to open an IDW file based on an IAM file.

It's about 50 - 50.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

>In what situations is it an advantage to set Unique File Names = YES

I would say, "only if you don't want the Resolve Components Dialog showing". Personnally, I like/use this dialog to 'repair' documents that I have moved around or renamed, so I have the setting set to Unique File Names = NO.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

I am set to YES.
As far as I understand - it shouldn't take any longer as long as all your
file links are in good shape, and IV finds everything where it is supposed
to be.

--
Cory McConnell, AICE
wrote in message news:5006521@discussion.autodesk.com...
In what situations is it an advantage to set Unique File Names = YES in the
project file?

On our system AIS-R10 + SP2

It makes it about - 3 times slower to open an IDW file based on an IAM file.

Makes my Design Assistant - 10 times slower.

And my Pack & Go - 5 times slower.

I think that the performance lack is depending on the database size.

A big database = slow performance. When Unique File Names = YES.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Cory is correct - if Inventor doesn't need to find files - this
shouldn't take any longer.
--
Thanks,

Brian Roepke
Product Manager, MSD
Data Management
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Could you answer his first question:
In what situations is it an advantage to set Unique File Names = YES in the
project file?
I would like to know.
Lester
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

AFAIK, if you have it set to YES then IV will automatically search the project workspace to resolve any files. Since you have said that all files have unique file names, IV will substitute the first file it finds with a matching name.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

...and I haven't seen the resolve file dialog for months.

--
Cory McConnell, AICE
wrote in message news:5007983@discussion.autodesk.com...
AFAIK, if you have it set to YES then IV will automatically search the
project workspace to resolve any files. Since you have said that all files
have unique file names, IV will substitute the first file it finds with a
matching name.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Does this also apply to Library parts? I have my .ipj set to yes but the resolve link box still comes up for Library parts.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I don't use library parts - all my parts are in the working folders...

--
Cory McConnell, AICE
wrote in message news:5008099@discussion.autodesk.com...
Does this also apply to Library parts? I have my .ipj set to yes but the
resolve link box still comes up for Library parts.
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I use YES.

If I understand the file open/resolution process correctly, it goes like this:

At save, Inventor remembers the location of where all it's dependents were. At open it "reads" it's own memory & looks for dependents where they were last found. Finds Them? YEA!! Opening happens really fast. However, if any of the files have been moved since the last save, Inventor searches for resolution based on the search paths as defined in by the ipj and when you use the YES switch, it can happen without any user interaction. Yes, It can take longer for Inventor to find the missing file than for the user to find it manually, but only if the user already knows where the file was moved to. (Inventor has to search the entire ipj set instead of having insider info on where it might be found)

An additional advantage is that the YES switch does not stop looking when it comes to the first file found. It continues to search the entire ipj search, and returns a resolution dialog when it finds two files of the same name. This is one reason why it takes longer than you expect. With the switch set to NO, Inventor will take the first file found. Imagine two users naming two different parts with the same name one is square one round. The iam could try to put a square "PART1" into a round hole. With the YES switch it will return a message saying that two "PART1"s were found & which do you wish to use?

Where this has been an advantage for me is during bulk upload of files into the Vault using the Add Project Command. If I have moved files around within the folder structure, Inventor will search for them without my involvement (resolution dialog box) The only time I deal with the resolution dialog box is when Inventor finds two files of the same name & needs to be told which to use OR when the file is not found anywhere in the ipj search path.

If you work from a shared network in single or semi-isolated modes, you are able to move files around from folder to folder (within the ipj search path) and Inventor will automatically find them again w/o intervention from you or the other users sharing the files (unless duplicates are found). The only additional time taken for this task happens when Inventor has to search. If the files are still in the same location as when the assy or idw was last saved, there is no search done.

On average, the extra time it takes to open using the YES switch is probably less than the user time spent using the resolve dialog box manually and is probably worth it if you have the potential for users naming different files identically.

Either way, happy searching 🙂

Sue

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report