Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfolding Panel

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
salaices_michael
933 Views, 10 Replies

Unfolding Panel

Hello:

I am using Inventor Professional 2013 what im trying to do is create a flat pattern so I can send out to get formed. I need the panel to be 7.75" Width 53.50" Height and 2" Depth. When I click unfold where the 45deg is, it doesnt match up with the bend. Im not sure if its supose to be like that or what lines i need to keep to get the correct mesurments. Please Help if you can.

Thanks

Mike

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hello:

Im having a proble drawing this Panel in inventor its out of 12ga SS, when i draw it up the bend lines do not line up when I flatten it out. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Panel questions2.png

Message 3 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: salaices_michael

When asking a question you should not post the same question twice.

Add the additional information to original post.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Unfolding-Panel/m-p/3751273

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 11

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "it doesn't quite match up with the bend"? I'm thinking that you mean that the top edge of Flange4 is not quite perfectly alinged with the top edges of Flange1 and Flange2? If you look from the end opposite the 45 degree end it is the height of the material at 45 degrees out. Change the Flange4 Height Extents to TO and select the corner of Flange2. See graphic. Let me know if I'm off track with this answer.

Add a screen shot of what you want if you still need help.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 5 of 11

BLHDrafting,

We are on the right track here is the .ipt and a jpg of what im trying to do

Panel Question 3.png

Message 6 of 11

Message 7 of 11

How do you mean the lines don't line up, do you mean that the views are at right angles to one another?

Message 8 of 11

I have edited your part and fixed the corner. Part is attached. See Corner19 where I have added an Overlap. I have rolled up the EOP. Note the file size difference. Unrolled up EOP 368 kb. Rolled up EOp 186 kb. Very handy when you have a large complicated part to send to someone.

As for the bubble that's the way Inventor shows the material would bend.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the reply, I attached a dwg file with dimensions. when the part is unfolded im not sure how to do it or what im doing wrong but i need these dimensions to be the same so that when they laser cut the part and form the material it will match up right now its off by .18

Message 10 of 11

The sheet metal environment in Inventor is great. Been using it for 6 years with very few problems. But this relies on having your setup correct. In the sheet metal environment the sheet metal rules are key to the modelling and flat patterning (and therefore dxf output) of the part. If these are not correct for the press or folder you are using then the part will be wrong.

I'm suggesting that you check these rules and even do a test piece. Have a little faith in Inventor. Based on the styles what you see in the model is what you get. What you end up with after the folding/pressing is a different matter as there are machines and users involved. We press (air gap bend) everything and have the rules set up to suit the V block, material thickness and bend tables of our press.

I would not be concerned about the 0.18" length difference. I'm not thinking you are doing anything wrong. This sort of thing has to be expected considering the nature of the folds (different angles) and the corner overlap and the corner style (tear). If you were to change this corner to Arc Weld you will end up with a different flat pattern to the tear corner type. Cut a test piece and have it made. Se the result. Alter your sheet metal rules to suit the output. There is a program (free I think) called BendWorks that you can use to figure out the bend details of you press/folder. Try www.cds.co.nz. Do some test pieces and change the rules to suit. The apply these to this part.

Hope this helps.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

Message 11 of 11

BLHDrafting,

Thank you very much all your answers where very helpful and finally came to a conclusion 🙂 thank you again

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report