Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfolding an Elliptical sheet metal part

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
autorestorer
1365 Views, 6 Replies

Unfolding an Elliptical sheet metal part

I am trying to flatten an elliptical sheet metal part, but have not been successful as of yet.

I have tried to Define A-side but Inventor 2015 crashes. When I try to Create A Flat Pattern I get Failure creating Flat Pattern or "Bend has only one side. Please check the Thickness settings in the sheet metal styles." I have checked my styles and they do match the thickness in my sketch. Would anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this error? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: autorestorer

Your cuts are not perpendicular to the flat?

What process will you use to cut the flat?  Does it have an articulating head - or does is make only vertical cuts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
autorestorer

This is a doubler plate on the outside of a
Conical cylinder. There is a pipe that penetrates the cone and the doubler, this is why the cutout is not perpendicular to the doubler.

Can the part be done like this, or does the hole have to be perpendicular? I tried using the flatten part command, but it did not work.
Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! It looks like the first extrusion causes the part to have inconsistent thickness. I use Thicken feature to create the main body to secure consistent thickness. After that, the part can be unfolded without a problem. Please take a look at attached part. Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
autorestorer
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Can you explain how you added the thickness? Did you convert the part to a surface? I am new to inventor and trying to learn as I go, your help is greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! What I did was simply create a zero-offset surface on one face. Then delete the extruded body (with bad thickness). Then create a thicken feature on the offset surface. It is just a quick way to show you that it can be done.

You could delete the extrude feature and recreate it as a surface. Then thicken the surface as a solid.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7
autorestorer
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks this worked, great. I tried this method on similar parts with the same results. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report