Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfold

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
fredhydro
212 Views, 6 Replies

Unfold

I would like to unfold this drum I have posted in CF.
It is a none sheet metal part. Does anybody have any
suggestions? I'm not that good at the split feature.
Am I on the right track?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jmartzig
in reply to: fredhydro

no, i believe your going about it the wrong way. i'll post a file (under your thread in CF) that someone (sorry i forgot who it was) did for me awhile ago. -Joe
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I have had some success doing something similar. Everything I have had to do is symetrical, and all I want is an outside template for burning the pattern. So I first split it in half (as a model), shell it with a .001" wall thickness and remove the ends I don't need. I then change from modeling to sheetmetal tools, select the face I want, and hit the flat patter button.

To create a drawing of the flat, you have to select the flat pattern in the drawing dialog box.

I didn't download the file, but I will take a look at it.
Message 4 of 7
fredhydro

Sorry the file you posted is not there can you
repost it. I'm interested in this procedure.
I find the need for it a lot.
Message 5 of 7
fredhydro

I think I found a way! I drew a sketch and cut it down the face of the cylinder and created a flat layout. This seems to work. The gap is about .02 wide. Good enough for me.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

glad you figured it out

If you split the part as a shell, and erase the other half (instead of just a face split) it will unfold fine, just select the face you want. Takes a little bit of experimentation. I used to have to make templates like this in 2D with a cone intesecting a cylinder at a 35 degree angle (what an ugly shape)....it can take hours of projecting lines, and intersecting line etc and you are still not accurate.
Message 7 of 7
jmartzig

fred, click on my name first, then click on the file. -Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report