Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Punch Tools, why they behave differently when inserting them

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
fsdolphin
324 Views, 4 Replies

Understanding Punch Tools, why they behave differently when inserting them

Hi,

I have been trying to understand how iFeatures/Punch Tools work but I’m a little confused. The reason I’m confused is because they behave differently when inserting them, some of them you can just drag-and-drop and they just work, but some others you need to select the Geometry tab, select the Face name and select the opposite side (from the point) on your part when inserting them (see image).

Can someone be so kind and explain why the two attached files (punch tools) behave differently?

FYI – Attached are the models and the iFeature files of two punch tools that behave differently. PunchTool1 works by drag and droping, but PunchTool2 requires to select a surface on the part you are applying it to.

Thanks a lot

iFeatures.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: fsdolphin

Notice that in the creation of Punch Tool1 there is one parameter required for Position Geometry.

Notice that in the creation of Punch Tool2 there are two parameters required for Position Geometry.

Punch Sketch.png

When creating Punch Tools

1. Sketch only on part face, not on workplane.

2. Avoid any unnecessary dependencies (Projections).

I would have used only one sketch for this punch created on the part face with the sketch point.  (make sure autoprojection is turned off, or delete any autoprojected geometry)

Extrude-Join by Thickness*2

Share the sketch.

Extrude-Cut by Thickness.

Punch History.PNG

Remove this parameter.

Include size parmeters (if needed).

Remove Parameter.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
fsdolphin
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks a lot.

Very good points. Can you please clarify a few things.

1- Sketch only on part face, not on workplane.

1- What do you mean by this?

2- Let see if I understood this correctly, the required sketches will determine the final position behavier of the punch tool. In other words, the punch behavior will be driven by the way the tool was constructed, is this correct?

3- Can you please take a look at the new tool I created (see attachment) following your suggestions and let me know why it doesn't make the cut when applying it, it only creates the extrude feature but not the cut.

4- Last one, can you explain what is the "Select Sketch" option for (see image)? When do you use it?

Sorry about the silly questions but I need to know.

Thanks

iFeatures2.png

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: fsdolphin

I don't have time for detail right now, but quickly -

A workplane is just that - shown in the browser under Origin xy, xz, yz or a user created workplane.  Do not sketch on these for the first sketch in a punch (for dependent features in a complex punch you will need to create dependent workplanes for sketches), but just don't use a worplane for the first sketch (in the punch feature, I am not referring the starting solid).

A sketch face is any planar face of existing geometry - that is what you want to select as your sketch plane.

#4.  I haven't used that, so I could be wrong -

sometimes you don't want to show your punch features in a drawing, but only a placement point or perhaps a sketch outline.

I think this is normally used to place the placement location rather than features in the drawing (double check this explanation).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
fsdolphin
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks a lot for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report