Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding assembles updates when components change

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
fsdolphin
306 Views, 6 Replies

Understanding assembles updates when components change

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how Inventor update assemblies when some of its components have been modified. For instance if I have an assembly OPENED and this assembly has a screw on a bracket with a constrain type of "mate" and for some reason the hole where the screw was constrained to, moves while the assembly is open, it what point does the assembly gets updated?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm currently using Inventor and Vault and if I change the location of a hole where a screw was constrained to, the assembly doesn't update the screw's location until I go and suppress and unsuppress the constrain. Is this a normal behavior in Inventor or it has to do with the fact that I'm using Vault?

In SolidWork if you have an assembly open and one of its components change the assembly updates immediately.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
weveevee
in reply to: fsdolphin

Generally when I am working on a large assembly if a part is updated by the same computer all you have to do it slightly move the assembly or a part and then autodesk inventor will autocorrect the assembly for you because of the pre-existing constraints. However, if for instance you have a part that you edit that no longer fits the dimensions of the constraint, then the constraint will break itself and cause an error, in which you need to either delete the constraint or edit it (deleting is quicker in my opinion).
I personally haven't touched vault because I haven't needed to, and I hope this helps in some way.

Message 3 of 7
fsdolphin
in reply to: weveevee

Ok, so it looks like if the assembly is opened, Inventor will NOT update until you actually do some sort of interaction with the component that has changed or close and reopen the assemble. If this is correct, is there a way to force it to update without having to go and drag-move the compont that has changed?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
weveevee

Not to my knowledge, and the big problem for me was on my robotics team when we had a good ten people working on one assembly the assembly would not update, and if we had the assembly open on more than one computer then very bad things happened that involved many many errors. If you have to make many changes, lets say adjust a plate full of holes and the bolts need to move too, I'd just wait until you completely updated the one part and then attempt to update your file as a whole.
Message 5 of 7
JDMather

@fsdolphin wrote:

In SolidWork if you have an assembly open and one of its components change the assembly updates immediately.

Click the Update icon (just like SolidWorks) if it doesn't immediately update (looks like a lightning bolt in Inventor).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
fsdolphin
in reply to: weveevee

Wow, that sounds like a pain, imagine that you updated your part, than you  open the assembly just to realize that you actually made the wrong adjustment, now close the assembly, make your changes, open the assemply again to verify the new changes, wow.

Message 7 of 7
fsdolphin
in reply to: JDMather

That works, that's excatly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Inventor Update.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report