Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open IDW file

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
peter.simek
1214 Views, 11 Replies

Unable to open IDW file

I have an IDW file of my assembly, which is bombing out during opening. I am asking for help to fix this file. I can create pack and go file and post it in your designated folder. File is large.

Thanks in advance for the help

Peter Simek

Benetech USA

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: peter.simek

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Can anyone else in your department open this file?

What version of Inventor are you running?  Are you using vault at all?

What are your system specs?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 12
peter.simek
in reply to: Cadmanto

We are running Inventor 2013 64 Pro with vault. This project is not in vault. I have tried other stations without luck.

XP 64 pro Sp 2

12 GB of ram

Hope this will help

Peter

Message 4 of 12
Cadmanto

Have you ever been able to open this drawing or is this drawing or is this a recent event.

What happens if you try creating a new drawing from your existing assembly.

I woul also try having your performance meter on (ctrl/alt/del task manager) and see how it spikes when you try opengin up this file.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 12
peter.simek

I can create new idw. I have not seen spike opening the idw file. Inventor closes 2 to 3 seconds after I clic on OPEN file button.

Peter

Message 6 of 12
Cadmanto

When it comes to files crashing, there is no exact science.  If you say this particular drawing file crashes not only on your machine but others, and you can create a new one and that does the same thing, makes me wonder about the assembly model.  Also, if you can create other drawings using different models and those drawings do not crash, again I go back to the assembly model.  Do you have any imported items in it from outside sources?  Vendor sites?

If you can post the model here that would help.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 12
peter.simek

I need to correct you. I CAN create new idw file using same model. I was not clear in my previous post.

Peter

Message 8 of 12
Cadmanto

Ok, so if you can create a new drawing file using the same model and that stays open and is fine while the old one using the same model crashes Inventor within seconds, it is leading me to believe that this drawing file is corrupted.

Especially if you try opening up this same drawing file on other machines and the same result happens.

Is recreating this drawing out of the realm of possibility?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 12
peter.simek

Trying to avoid recreating. It has 5 sheets with multiple views.

Message 10 of 12
okaleja

Hi Peter,

Could you please send your dataset to me at oto.kalejaATautodesk.com? I can take a look what's going on there.

Oto

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 11 of 12
peter.simek
in reply to: okaleja

Thanks Oto,

Worked fine. I have to update model to correct baloons and dimensions.

You can close this post

Thanks again, Peter

Message 12 of 12
Cadmanto

Peter,

Do you know exactly what Otto did to your file to correct your issue?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report