Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Mirror Component

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
PBL_Engineer
1623 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to Mirror Component

I am attempting to modify a component that I already have.  Part of the modifacations I am attempting to do involves mirroring some of the part's features.  However, when attemping to mirror the comonent I recieve the error message attached to this post: "Select set contains object that cannot be patterned".  I have been fooling around with this part and a few others and this appears to be an error message that comes up for mirroring or patterning (circular/rectangular) complex shaped parts.  What specifically is the issue here and how can I bypass this error message?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: PBL_Engineer

I have read this several times and still it is unclear to me whether you are trying to mirror in a part file (features/solid body) or in an assembly (component).

Can you attach the file here?

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
PBL_Engineer
in reply to: JDMather

I am working with a part (.ipt file) and it is a solid body.  I have attached one of the parts as instructed here; however, I have attempted to mirror far more simple parts and still recieve the same error message.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

@PBL_Engineer wrote:

I am working with a part (.ipt file) .....

I am still confused about exactly what steps you are doing.

First of all, when we say Mirror Component in Inventor we are referring to using mirror command in the assembly environment.

When using Mirror (feature) in the ipt part environment we can mirror features or the entire solid body.

When mirroring features there are certain features that cannot be mirrored and another case is trying to mirror a child feature without it's parent.

I can mirror your attached part(s) fine.

Can you explain step-by-step how to reproduce the behavior you are seeing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
PBL_Engineer

I am attempting to mirror the component in the .ipt environment.  I am attempting to mirror the entire solid body. 

I am selecting the solid body via the browser and then clicking on the mirror command in the ribbon under the 3D Model tab.  That is when the error message appears...

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

In trying to determine what your end design intent is - it occured to me that maybe you are simply trying to extend the length of this imported body (see attached).

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

@PBL_Engineer wrote:

I am attempting to mirror the component in the .ipt environment.  I am attempting to mirror the entire solid body. 

I am selecting the solid body via the browser and then clicking on the mirror command in the ribbon under the 3D Model tab.  That is when the error message appears...

To avoid confusion we must be very precise with our "Inventor Language".  Mirror Component is an assembly environment operation, not a part *.ipt environment operation.

To mirror your solid body (not the feature) select the Mirror Solid option in the Mirror dialog box.

Message 8 of 9
PBL_Engineer

I am attempting to extend/shring the component; however that is just for this part.  I had other parts in the past I have recieved the exact same error. (I don't have those files accessable right now).  I attempted to modify the part in Inventor Fusion (which for some reason I only have the 2013 version of as it did not come with my 2014 package); however I was unable to modify the part as I hoping in Fusion.

As far as the option you are referencing in your post I do not see that option.  I have attached my ribbon here.  Is there a way to add option like that?

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@PBL_Engineer wrote:

I am attempting to extend/shring ...

Inventor Fusion (which for some reason I only have the 2013 version of as it did not come with my 2014 package);

As far as the option you are referencing in your post I do not see that option.  ...

I showed two different methods.

1. You can Mirror if you change the Mirror option.

2. The Extend/Contract ribbon is opened by right clicking on the Base solid and selecting Edit Solid. (create a workplane to use in history before going into the Extend/Contract.

There is no Inventor Fusion 2014 version - this program was discontinued with v2013.  It was replaced by Fusion 360 ($25 USD/month).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report