Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNABLE TO FIND UNKNOWN TORQUE - please help

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
DaveDavidson1
727 Views, 9 Replies

UNABLE TO FIND UNKNOWN TORQUE - please help

Hi All 🙂
I started to learn Inventor a while ago and for the past few weeks I am really struggling with my assembly. (see pic and attachment)
The idea is tu turn the screw to move the torch arm up and down roughly 3 degrees each way.
I can get the lead screw to turn and move the assembly but so far have failed miserably to find the required torque to turn the screw. I tried with both Output grapher (values returned unusually high) and unknown force feature (couldnt get this to work at all 😞 )
The end of assembly weighs 3Kg which I referenced as the external force.

The unknown force keeps telling me to lock the DoF's but when I do the assembly wont move 😕

Could someone pont me in the right direction pretty please Smiley EmbarassedCapture.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: DaveDavidson1

Before moving on to an advanced topic like DS, I would want to master the modeling environment.

I opened one of your part files and found that Sketch1 was not costrained and did not have any dimensions?

There were also several errors indicated in the feature tree?

Problems.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10

try this web site for torque http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/torque_calc.htm

T=c * D * F

With the pivot point so close to the actuator the force will be a lot higher than the 3kg load on the end.

You could put your actual values in the calculator and see if it looks reasonable.

i7 3770k cpu
gtx680 4gb gpu
16gb ram
win7 64bit
Message 4 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

What is the purpose of the 3 Move Face features at the end of this feature tree?  (Why 3?)

Move Face.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
DaveDavidson1

The design had to be changed several times, guess I should have just changed the first "extend face" - Mea culpa for messy assembly, is this the reason why I am unable to find the torque? I started to use Inventor just over 2 months ago and I am learning on my own.
I can use the formula but the idea is to learn how to use the Inventor to do it.
Could you please advice on a way forward and what needs to be fixed apart from the errors visible in assembly tree, in order to solve for torque?

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Are you aware that you can right click on a feature and select Edit Feature and change the distance?

Have you installed Service Packs 1 & 2 for 2014?

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

What process will you use to get this threaded rod into the threaded hole?

Threaded Rod.PNG

Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

What process will you use to get this threaded rod into the threaded hole?

Threaded Rod.PNG

BFH (Big F'in Hammer) process 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 10

Thank you, already done the calc on paper but I need to  learn how to do it in Inventor.

Message 10 of 10
DaveDavidson1
in reply to: mcgyvr

Right, Fixed the errors and made the thread full length but tbh thats not why I coulnt solve the thread torque problem. To get the thread in I would either constrain the axis or use cylindrical joint to provide for thread joint in DS, but I get the jist guys and thanks for all your kind and helpfull comments.
Apologies if the question was not expert enough for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report