Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to export construction geometry

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Justin_DeSilva
358 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to export construction geometry

I often export my models and sketches via .stp so I can easily reuse the curve and construction geometry within other applications like Rhinoceros and Adobe Illustrator. After updating from 2012 to 2015 the construction geometry is no longer included when exporting to .stp or .igs. Can modify the export process to include all sketches including construction geometry?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I am a bit surprised the behavior has been changed for you. The option is still there. When you export it, make sure click on Options button in the Save As dialog. You should be able to click on "Include Sketches" option. Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I tested the (*.stp) export and it did not work for me.  Construction geometry was ignored.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JDMather

Hi! I see where the confusion is. In order to have the sketch exported, it has to be visible (consumed or unconsumed). If the sketch is invisible, it is ignored on export. You can create a design view making all the exporting sketches visible for the purpose.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5

Hi Johnson,

I'm with JD on this one. The sketch is visible and Include Sketches is selected. This method works with previous releases but not 2015. The sketch entities export but the construction entities do not. The reason I'm posting this topic is becuase exporting the .stp file with sketches allows me to utilize both Inventor, Rhinoceros and Adobe Illustrator. If I can't easily export the construction entities, or am required to convert all the construction entities to regular entities each and every time a modification was made, recently upgrading to 2015 was a HUGE mistake.

Can someone tell me why this functionality was removed in 2015?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report