Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to expand assembly in presentation (ipn)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
-niels-
1073 Views, 8 Replies

Unable to expand assembly in presentation (ipn)

We have the following problem / bug and i was wondering if others can reproduce it.

(IV2013, SP1.1)

When adding a new sub-assembly to an existing ipn, the newly added assembly doesn't have the + sign to expand it. (see image)

Steps:

1. create a part. (anything will do) - Part1

2. make an assembly and add Part1 a few times. - Assembly1

3. make another assembly and add Assembly1 a couple of times. - Assembly2

4. create a presentation file with Assembly2, add a tweak for good measure. - Assembly2.ipn

5. Save the ipn. (and any other unsaved files)

6. now go back to Assembly2 and add another instance of Assembly1.

7. look at the presentation again, if it's the same as our situation there shouldn't be a + next to the newly added instance.

If anyone can confirm this or perhaps knows of a way to fix it, without having to recreate the entire ipn, it would be greatly appreciated.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: -niels-

Ok, just to add a little more weirdness, here are a few more steps.

After making the ipn with the assembly that doesn't expand, do the following:

8. open Assembly1 and add another instance of Part1

9. go back to the ipn, there should now be a + next to the instance that previously didn't have one.

10. expand this instance to find it only shows the last instance of Part1 that was just added.

Attached is an image of the situation.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 9
blair

Been like that since it IPN was added a long time ago, I now only do my IPN after the model "IAM" is completed.

The Presentation module has been a bit of a add-in and not much has changed since it was added back about 8 years ago. I really think they want us to buy Inventor Publisher rather than make improvements to the IPN module within Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: blair

Can't say i ever noticed the behavior before, but then again we did change our workflow a bit over the last year.

I must agree with you on the fact that there hasn't been much change to the ipn environment.

Heck, you can almost say there has been NO improvement to it.

I'm kinda keeping my fingers crossed that they will add Publisher to the suite package, because ipn's are just really falling behind on the rest of inventor.

Still, it would be nice if there was a way to correct this problem...

We did figure out that replacing the assembly through "component - replace" gives a partially corrected list, just 1 lvl though... but at least that's something...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: blair

@Blair wrote:

... I really think they want us to buy Inventor Publisher rather than make improvements to the IPN module within Inventor.

I hope that's not what they're thinking.  Inventor Publisher is easy to use and produces very nice end results, but I need to make Inventor drawings of exploded assemblies-- IP is useless for that purpose.  I keep hoping that the explosion functionality of IP will be incorporated into Inventor for making .ipn presentations.

Message 6 of 9
-niels-

Ok, fairly certain this is a bug with ipn's now...

Already had my doubts of ever seeing this behavior before, but now an entire browser tree dissappeared after replacing a subassembly

See attached image.

Can someone from autodesk please take a look at this?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 9
-niels-

Just tried these same steps (from my first post) in IV2014 and it still behaved the same.
Guess i'm going to have to open a support ticket for this...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 9
WaynePriest

I also have this problem.

see attached pic, all assemblies without "+" sign were added/changed from original assembly used to create presentation.

Does anyone know if  a fix for this is being worked on.

Message 9 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: WaynePriest

I had made a support request on this, which i got a reply to that it was a known issue with AD development and that they increased the priority on it so it would get fixed.
So i have my fingers crossed.

At least most idea's on the ideastation regarding presentations have been accepted, so there's promise for future versions.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report