Active Contributor
Rasckel
Message 1 of 4 (352 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to dimension sketch in .idw

352 Views, 3 Replies
01-29-2014 07:38 AM

Hi everyone!

One of our draftsmen came up with a problem that I can`t seem to solve.

For some unknown reason, when he try to dimension a sketch inputted in a view in particular, it won`t work.

And its just for this base view, all other view created on the same sheet don`t have that problem.

I'm guessing that it would be something in the assembly that's causing this, but what?

I know that it would be a lot more easier if I shared that assembly. But my company as a strict sharing policy.

But i can still show you what it looks like, see attached. On the left, this i the one that we cannot dimension.

On the right is whats its suppose to be the final results.

Is anyone had, to some degree, that problem? And what could be done to fix this?

Tank you

Sorry for my bad English  

Inventor Version: 2014 SP1

Config : Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5506 @ 2.13 GHz, 24 GB, 64bit win7

Dear M. Teleguz,

I've tried your way before, but it didn't work out. i wasn't able to dimension any line that i projected.

That was my main problem. But by further testing, see attachment, i found out that for some reason inventor was

seeing that view as an iso. So what i did, is making a custom view by assuring myself that i'm seeing directly on my plate.

And made it so that the view that i'm looking at is the top view.  

By setting my ViewCube --> Set current view as --> top.

Tank you all for your quick responses

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 4 (343 Views)

Re: Unable to dimension sketch in .idw

01-29-2014 08:17 AM in reply to: Rasckel

Rasckel wrote:

Hi everyone!

One of our draftsmen came up with a problem that I can`t seem to solve.

For some unknown reason, when he try to dimension a sketch inputted in a view in particular, it won`t work.

And its just for this base view, all other view created on the same sheet don`t have that problem.

I'm guessing that it would be something in the assembly that's causing this, but what?

I know that it would be a lot more easier if I shared that assembly. But my company as a strict sharing policy.

But i can still show you what it looks like, see attached. On the left, this i the one that we cannot dimension.

On the right is whats its suppose to be the final results.

Is anyone had, to some degree, that problem? And what could be done to fix this?

Tank you

Sorry for my bad English  

Is this a sketch created in the drawing file, or is this an actual model view?  There is a difference.  For that matter, is he trying to dimension to a sketch from within the model?  your use of the word sketch may confuse the answer to this question.

I suspect that you mean this is a model view, and it could be that something is rotated just a tiny bit off of square in your view, making it hard for Inventor to grab the points you want to dimension to.

If possible, post the files here.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

Distinguished Contributor
m.teleguz1
Message 3 of 4 (340 Views)

01-29-2014 08:23 AM in reply to: Rasckel

Really Easy to fix :smileyhappy: 

select view, create sketch, select project geometry, Select all the lines you cant dimension and exit out. 

We have this issue with a lot of tube and pipe runs. 

Good Luck! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
..........................................................................................................................
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
..........................................................................................................................
Privacy warning: Since I live in a country that has traded liberty for the illusion of security, all of your posts to me are being monitored and saved by the United States Government.

See My LinkedIn Profile
Active Contributor
Rasckel
Message 4 of 4 (327 Views)

01-29-2014 08:46 AM in reply to: Rasckel

Dear M. Teleguz,

I've tried your way before, but it didn't work out. i wasn't able to dimension any line that i projected.

That was my main problem. But by further testing, see attachment, i found out that for some reason inventor was

seeing that view as an iso. So what i did, is making a custom view by assuring myself that i'm seeing directly on my plate.

And made it so that the view that i'm looking at is the top view.  

By setting my ViewCube --> Set current view as --> top.

Tank you all for your quick responses

Inventor Version: 2014 SP1

Config : Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5506 @ 2.13 GHz, 24 GB, 64bit win7
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.