Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create flat pattern

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
matthewgreig
594 Views, 3 Replies

Unable to create flat pattern

I can't get Inventor to create a flat pattern of the attached sheetmetal part. It's a pretty basic part, just five folds. I'm not getting any error issues - when I go to the flat pattern it just shows the folded part (picture attached). 

I assume it has something to do with the way I folded it and the notches, etc. Inv makes to accomplish the fold. But I'm very much an amateur - how do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Matthew

edit: I'm using Inventor 2013 on Win 8. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jletcher
in reply to: matthewgreig

I can't open your part but I do believe your issue is with this area. your cut goes into te radius of the bend. can you edit the sketch for the leg fold cut out so I can see it.

This.JPG

Message 3 of 4
coreyparks
in reply to: matthewgreig

It has something to do with how the folds all come together in the middle I think.  I have had problems with the fold feature creating things that couldn't flat pattern so I rarely use them.  I rebuilt the part using other methods and it flat patterns fine now.  I wouldn't have used the fold feature but I didnt want to redo the entire part.  Take a look and see if this method will work for you.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 4 of 4
matthewgreig
in reply to: coreyparks

James, not sure what you mean by the leg fold cut out sketch, but you guys are right that it's the folds. Corey's redo using a series of flanges for the "wings" allows it to flat out just fine.

Thanks for the tips - I'll avoid the fold feature when I'm doing close tolerance stuff from now on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report