Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create a new file in Inventor 2012

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
aklein
401 Views, 9 Replies

Unable to create a new file in Inventor 2012

I have recently installed Inventor Professional 2012 Student Version, and I'm unable to create a new file, as the program crashes as I try to do so.

After starting Inventor, I select New than Standard.ipt. The file starts loading, the status of the loading process can be seen in the bottom left corner, than the "Open Documets in Session" counter in the bottom right corner changes from 0 to 1, as it should, I guess. And than, the program freezes. Sometimes, a message appears after several minutes that an error has occured, and that I should send an error report to Autodesk (which I did); but sometimes, no message appears at all, it simply crashes.

My computer specs are: Intel Core 2 @1,86 GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX, 60 GB free space, Windows Vista (hotfix installed) Not a powerhouse, but I think it should be able to start a file properly I think, if I understand the system requirements correctly.

I know my problem is quite vague, but does anyone have any idea?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: aklein

Did you have anti-virus and UAC turned off during install?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
aklein
in reply to: JDMather

No, I didn't, do you think I should reinstall it with those disabled?

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

That could be a problem.

Before uninstall install Service Pack 1 and two Hot Fixes that say they cover a list of things (I didn't read the list to see if there is anything in there relevant to your problem).  Do these installations with UAC off.

If that doesn't work go to Start>Autodesk>Inventor and use the Quick Uninstall tool and all search Google on Autodesk Inventor 2012 Clean Uninstall instructions before doing the re-install.

BTW - I am running student license of 2012 on a similar machine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
aklein

I've reinstalled it with UAC and anti-virus disabled (service pack didn't work and there was nothing in the hotfix descriptions related to my problem), but it didn't help anything, unfortunately.

BTW, I was unable to install Autodesk Vault on my computer durnig the install, it failed as soon as it started, I don't know if this might be related.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Student license is stand-alone.
You don't need Vault.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
aklein

Do you have any other suggestions perhaps?

Message 8 of 10
Ray_Feiler

Never mind, I just read were you said you installed the patch. Sorry

See

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Inventor-2012-installation-on-Windows-Vista-pat...

also

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Hotfix-Kb971138-Download-for-Vista/td-p/2998212

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 9 of 10
TravisNave

Have you tried updating your video driver to a WHQL certified driver?  Sometimes the factory installed video driver is problematic and it will crash a graphic intense program like Inventor.  The latest WHQL driver for your listed video card is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-296.10-whql-driver.html

Make sure that you have local administrator rights on your machine for using Inventor.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 10 of 10
aklein

I've reinstalled Windows, this time with Windows 7, and now it's working perfectly. It was about time, my computer vas very slow, but this issue with the Inventor really made me do it. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums