Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Create a Flat Pattern - Please Help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rockdesign101
341 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to Create a Flat Pattern - Please Help

I need help!

I want to creat a flatpattern of an iregulary cut cylinder that was made in the standard .ipt world and is now converted into a sheetmetal. I want to "Unroll" the piece out so can see the shape of it as a flat piece. Picture of it is attatched. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: rockdesign101

That can't be unfolded as modeled. The part must have a constant thickness. Post your ipt file here.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 7
rockdesign101
in reply to: mrattray

So there is no way to unfold it with the cuts in it as it stands? I need the outline of those cuts

Message 4 of 7
rockdesign101
in reply to: mrattray

Here is the ipt

Message 5 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: rockdesign101

Capture.JPG

How do you plan to manufacture this part?

If the ends can be square then you can remodel this using an extruded surface instead of a solid, make your cuts, and then use the Thicken feature, followed by a rip feature. This will give you a flattenable and manufacturable part.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 7

Hi rockdesign101,

I worked up this example before I saw you posted yours. Have a look and see if you can follow the work flow to get it to flatten. (basically what mrattray said Smiley Happy)

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 7

Just figured it out. Thank you for your sugestions. Deleted the faces i didnt need then thicked the one face. the flat pattern will be used to trace a pattern onto a pipe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report