Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable Snap to Centerpoint of Holes in 2d View, snap settings have been checked.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jmgarner84
889 Views, 5 Replies

Unable Snap to Centerpoint of Holes in 2d View, snap settings have been checked.

I am new to inventor.  

My current project invovles using Geomagic Design X.  We model a solid part in Design X using a point cloud.  We then transfer the model into Inventor LT using a step file.  My problem is the part has holes in it, and when I go to annotate it, I am unable to snap to the center of the holes, the feature data doesn't transfer in the step file, I found an add on, that is supposed to help with feature recognition but it's not picking up my holes.  

I figured out how to sketch in the centerpoint and the centerline of the holes in the 3d  model workspace, and I can see them in the 2d drawing view, but I am still unable to snap to it in the 2d drawing view when attempting to connect a line to it.  All my snap settings are correct, I've read everything I can find, and I still have no idea.

My goal is to measure the delta angle from the established centerline(which I can snap to by the way) to the individual holes.  I am doing this by drawing a vertical line from the centerpoint to the vertial polar snap.  I then draw another line from the center point of the part, to a close approximation of the centerpoint of the hole(since I can't snap to that)  I then find the angle between the two lines.  

If anybody has a better method I'm all ears. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
t_hutns
in reply to: jmgarner84

Hello,

Problem is that the hole edge you are trying to snap to is spline in the model, currently we don’t support snap to center of the spline edges. If you wish enhancements in this area please log a request for this to Idea Station.

Thank you for your input

Stanislav Hutnan

Inventor Development

Autodesk

Message 3 of 6
jmgarner84
in reply to: t_hutns

Thanks for the reply.  

But shouldn't I be able to snap to a point that I created in the model veiw, in the drawing view.  Like I said I was able to find the centerpoint  of the hole, create a point on it, I just couldn't snap to it in the drawing mode.  

Message 4 of 6
okaleja

Hello,

If you have a work point created in the model, you need to "Include" it in the drawing view. Then you can use it for dimensioning.

To include a workpoint in the drawing, find the work point in the drawing browser and select "Include" from the context menu.

Hope this helps,

Oto

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer
Message 5 of 6
jmgarner84
in reply to: okaleja

I tried that, but for some reason I still can't snap to the center of the of the point in the drawing.  I looked at the snap settings they are all on?

Message 6 of 6
okaleja

Workpoint included in the drawing view is represent as center mark. Can you see it in your drawing view? If yes, you can use it for dimensioning.

Oto

Autodesk

Oto Kaleja
Software Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report