Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCS

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Dferr34
1525 Views, 8 Replies

UCS

Is there a way to reorient the ucs to the part? I've tried the help, but not getting it.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Dferr34

Yes, but in 12-13 yrs of using Inventor - I have never had to re-orient the UCS except to fix geometry done by others.

Can you attach file here where this would be useful?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
swalton

Are you asking about the default orgin geometry? If so, no. That is fixed.

There are two options if you want to re-orient your part geometry with respect to the default origin.

1. Redefine all your features to use the correct origin planes

2. Use the move body command. Note that this command can both move geometry and rotate it.

I always plan my first feature in a part so that the origin geeometry is useful for later modeling.  This takes some thought about how the part will fit into assemblies and how the assemblies fit into the real world, but is helpful when other people (or you after a few months/years) pick up your models.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 9
Dferr34
in reply to: swalton

Actually I'm putting the file into Meshcam as an stl file. I have some flexibility in that program to reposition the ucs. But its a little tricky. I thought if I could just change it in Inventor it would be easier.
Message 5 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! There are two type s of part-level UCS: parametric and associative. The type depends on how the UCS was created (redefined). If you pick a vertex (workpoint or model geometry) as the first pick, the UCS will be associative. Inventor will wait for you to pick two more vertices (second pick defines X axis; third pick defines Y axis).

If the first pick is somewhere in the graphics window, not attached to a vertex, it will be parametric. There will be three parameters created with the UCS. Each controls the distance between the UCS and global origin with respect to X, Y, and Z.

In your case, it sounds like you would like to create or redefine an existing UCS to an associative UCS. Simply right-click on the UCS in the browser -> Redefine -> pick a vertex (as the origin of the UCS) followed by two more picks of vertex to define X and Y.

Let me know if it works for you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 9
JDMather

I think you are actually referring to a "world" (unchangeable) coordinate system rather than a user coordinate system.

The stl file would use the absolute system.  (At least I think it would - I didn't test this out.)

You can rotate your part with the Move Bodies command before exporting as *.stl

Or if it is a simple part, it might be as simple as right clicking on the first sketch and redefine the sketch plane.

Move Bodies.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Dferr34,

These links might help. I'm not sure if you'll get your STL file to use the UCS, as JDMather mentions it's likely to use the WCS:

User coordinate system (UCS)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-FF15BB0D-5FE9-45F9-92FD-D70A3F6A8FD0

Create user coordinate system (UCS)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-D25B95E8-0683-4846-8A2E-5BF2EA201F65

Redefine the user coordinate system (UCS)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-61D274D6-9F7B-4706-935A-BAF36C8D2DD2

Here's a link showing the Move Body tools in action, as others have mentioned:

Change The Origin of a Model

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/change-origin-of-imported-model.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 9
Dferr34
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thanks for the help! This is such a simple part I just redrew it the way I wanted. I'll try some of the methods posted, when I get a chance. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Dferr34

Move bodies worked. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report