Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical vs Places

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
chris31
403 Views, 7 Replies

Typical vs Places

How do you determine when it is correct to use "TYP." vs when it's correct to use "Places" or "12X" (as an example)?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: chris31

Technically, I think current standards do not permit "TYP" or "Places".  Those are english terms that might not be understood by non-english speakers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
mpatchus
in reply to: JDMather

All depends on who you are working for.

The government used to require "TYP XX PL" on their drawings.

(This was a few years ago, not sure if it still applies.)

The company standards should specify how features are to be called out on the drawing.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 8
Cadmanto

Chris,

My experience has been dependant on the type of drawing and how scattered the items are.  If they are in a general cluster and are easily identifiable, then I will use the 12X example as you say, but if there are generally more then 12-15 and scattered like I say, I will use the term "TYP".  I have also learned that those reading the drawings don't always understand the "X" after a number and are used to the "TYP".  So that might drive your decision as well.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 8
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Cadmanto

I tend to use TYP by itself when I'm calling out dimensions.  If, for instance, I've got 4 corners with the same radius, I'll call them out as R5 TYP.  If I have holes, though, or nuts / bolts / other hardware / subassemblies / etc., then I'll use PLCS.  So, for instance, Ø2 TYP 6 PLCS.

(My company doesn't really follow 14.5 exactly, though.  For that matter, they don't even really enforce a single standard between sites, or even between designers / drafters / engineers within a single office.  My drawings, for instance, use Helvetica for the font, and the guy in the next cube over uses Arial, I think.  Our boss uses Tahoma.  Things can get a little messy from time to time.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
wimann

For me it kind of depends on what I'm detailing. To be honest, I don't really use PLC'S without TYP before it.

I might callout a connection detail to be TYP-4 PLC'S for example

where as a physical item may be TYP-4

I know it's not concrete, but I could almost say that I use PLC'S if it's a concept or a process and just TYP if it's a quantity.

The only time that it's a process and I don't put PLC'S is if the number of PLC'S is evident. And even then, somethimes it's better to specify. That might be a weld between two pieces who's quantities are noted. In other words, 4 plates, 4 pipes, weld called out between one plate and one pipe might say TYP instead of TYP-4 PLC'S.

We'll also use TYP for dimensions as well. However those aren't usually noted with a quantity unless additional clarity is needed. In which case it would be TYP-# PLC'S

Anyway... that's what I've come up with on the top of my head. I'm sure 20 minutes from now I'll come up with an exception.

Hope this help.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 7 of 8
tmoney2007
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Are you in the building with me???

I think the vast majority of companies work within the Y14.5...Kinda standard.

We don't have the issue with fonts, but I would guess that its mostly because it takes extra effort to futz with that kind of thing.
Message 8 of 8
chris31

I appears than that there is no hard and fast rule to differnetiate the usage.  Internally, we need to make a rule, and follow that.

We have about 20 machinists of various levels of expertise.  I don't worry about the more experienced.  Some of the younger guys though, may not interpret the drawing as the older fellows would.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report