Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twisting Sheet Metal

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
BromanSillito
1284 Views, 7 Replies

Twisting Sheet Metal

I need to create the following sheet metal part in Inventor:

Leg_Twist.JPG

You can see that it has "legs" that need to be twisted to a certain location. Is there a way to do this in Inventor?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: BromanSillito

What version of Inventor?  (Inventor files are not backward compatible.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

It's possible, and the way I'm showing is just one of the ways to do it. It all depends on exactly how you want to end up. I did this in Inventor 2015, but I didn't use any of your dimensions (FYI).

Twisted Legs.jpg

I've also attached a 3D PDF of it.

Message 4 of 8
BromanSillito
in reply to: Anonymous

This looks like it would work great for what I need. It's not perfect, but gets the job done. I'm using Inventor 2014 service pack 2. Is there any chance you could save it to that version?

Message 5 of 8

I was able to duplicate this part, but the problem is that the flat pattern doesn't turn out right. I would really like to be able to get an accurate flat pattern from the model as well.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I'm glad to see that you were able to reproduce the model. How is the flat pattern no correct? Can you attach the part file so that I (or someone else) can look at it and offer some assistance?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
BromanSillito
in reply to: Anonymous

The reason the flat pattern didn't turn out right is that I have to have the holes in a specific location when bent (see dwg above). I couldn't get the holes in the right location without changing the bend angles, and when I did this the flat pattern was wrong. I ended up just using a loft to accomplish the twist and then on the flat pattern I cut the legs off and replaced them with flattened legs (since Inventor can't flatten lofts). Not the way I would have liked to do it, but it got the job done.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

It would be nice to see the actual part file that you made. Perhaps someone could give some more insight if they could see what you've accomlished so far.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report