Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorial Problem

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
lemaycj
693 Views, 14 Replies

Tutorial Problem

I'm still going through the tutorial.  I'm only on Create the part from Scratch.  Obviously I have Options not setup as in the tutorial because simple thing lile the coordinate system indicator was on in Sketch and preventing me from picking the 0,0,0 point.  When I try to add a constraint to my rectangle to center it over 0,0,0 it gives me a message that it would be overconstrained and won't do it.  I can go on and add equations to the general dimension.  But the simple task of constraining isn't working.  I've gone back to the Constraining exercises but it won't work for me here....

What do I have to do to make this centre over the axis??

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: lemaycj

Like this.

Message 3 of 15
JDMather

Following the steps in the Tutorial -

On the Constraints tab click Horizontal

then click point 1 (the green projected origin) and point 2 then midpoint of the left vertical line.
What happens?

Horizontal.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
lemaycj
in reply to: JDMather

I followed the video pausing at every step to check the messages against what I get.  As soon as I pick a line on the rectangle, right away a message of overconstraining comes up.  I started over 4 times with the same results every time.

It must be something in the setup of Inventor or Inventor Options that is doing this.

It's a really simple task and it's really bothering me that I can't do it.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Have you closed Inventor and restarted?

Message 6 of 15
lemaycj

I changed a setting in Inventor/Options/Sketch: Overconstrained dimensions to Apply driven dimension.  Re-started Inventor, new part created with the same template.  As soon as I click on the line on the rectangle the message window appears: "Autodesk Inventor- Create Constraint: Cannot constrain or dimension reference or fixed geometry".

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I edited the sketch on the part you posted with no problems. 

Not sure why you are having this problem.

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

@lemaycj wrote:

Cannot constrain or dimension reference or fixed geometry".

It sounds like you are clicking twice on projected geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
lemaycj

This is what I have been doing, over and over:

I start a new part, it opens up in sketch mode already and I click on rectangle, pick two points  across for the latter, hit ESC, then horizontal constraint, I then pick the 0,0,0 location, then a vertical line on the rectangle and bang the message window appears.  I just don’t know what it coud be…

Message 10 of 15
kstate92

When creating the rectangle, do any constraint glyphs (horizontal, vertical) appear?  After placing a rectangle, what results when selecting autoconstraints?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 11 of 15
JDMather

That is where you are going wrong - don't pick the vertical line - pick the midpoint of the vertical line (it will highlight green dot when you get close).

Horizontal.png

Think about the logic - you are not trying to make the vertical line horizontal (which is why you get an error - it is obviously already vertical), you are trying to make the MIDPOINT of the vertical line horizontal to the origin.  So logical, so easy!  You will get there.

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
lemaycj
in reply to: kstate92

When creating a rectangle, no constrain glyphs show up at all.  I hit F8 and then they show up.  Both vertical lines (left and right) show parallel glyphs. The bottom line also has a parallel.  The top line has a parallel and a horizontal constraint.  The center point is yellow and has the project geometry.  Also all corners of the rectangle have yellow dots.  The upper right corner also has a perpendicular.

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

yes.

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
kstate92

That's what I see too.  This leaves only length, width, and positon w.r.t. the auto-projected origin point.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 15 of 15
lemaycj
in reply to: JDMather

ok.  Beyond stupid.  I got it now. Duh!  Sorry for the hold-up.  I will carry on now.....Thanks....again...!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report