Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off work feature visibility in particular sub-parts/-assemblies

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
DRoam
684 Views, 7 Replies

Turn off work feature visibility in particular sub-parts/-assemblies

This is a simple question, hopefully there's a simple solution. Say I want the work features in my master assembly, and particular sub-components, to be visible, but there's one or two sub-components whose work features are horribly cluttering up my view. Is there a way to turn off all work features for a certain component of an assembly?

I tried creating a design rep with work features turned off for the sub-assembly that's cluttering my master assembly, but apparently the master assembly doesn't care and displays them anyway.

Any help would be appreeciated. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: DRoam

Hi @DRoam,

See this link, I think it'll help. Smiley Tongue

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Design View behaviors sometime can be a bit confusing. In your case, you can edit the component in place and go to View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck all work planes. Does it help?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
SteveMDennis

@DRoam

What you said you tried to do should work, that's exactly the workflow you should do.

Go into the sub assembly that's cluttering you up, Create a View Rep "All WF OFF" and then turn off all these WFs.

Go back to the master and tell it to use the "All WF OFF" view rep for the occurrences of that sub assembly associatively.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
DRoam
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack, link? ... What link? First you ignore my post for 4 years and then you taunt me with invisible links?? What did I ever do to you?! Smiley Wink

... unless you mean the link in your signature...?

@johnsonshiue and @SteveMDennis, thanks for the replies! But actually this post is from 4 years agao; Curtis was just being nice and humoring me with a reply since I mentioned this post on another thread thread where we were discussing an automated solution to what I asked about in this thread (turning off all workfeatures in a sub-assembly).

I have (I hope) come a good ways since I wrote this and understand what I was doing wrong -- I probably just didn't have my sub-assemblies set associatively to the view reps that I modified when I opened them. But thank you both for the replies!

Steven, since your reply comes closest to the issue I was having, you get the honor of providing the solution to one of my very first posts Smiley Wink congratulations Smiley Wink ... And thanks again!

Message 6 of 8
SteveMDennis

@DRoam

You know, as I was typing I was thinking "DRoam knows this... what is he thinking!" I almost didn't post because I knew you knew the answer. I didn't think to look at the date! Smiley Happy

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
DRoam
in reply to: SteveMDennis

@SteveMDennis wrote:

You know, as I was typing I was thinking "DRoam knows this... what is he thinking!" I almost didn't post because I knew you knew the answer.

Haha, thank you for the confidence! I'm sure it won't be long before I really do ask a silly question that I should know the answer to (I certainly have before). When I do, feel free to slap me upside the head with a "What are you thinking!" Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Curtis_Waguespack

@DRoam wrote:

@Curtis_Waguespack, link? ... What link? First you ignore my post for 4 years and then you taunt me with invisible links?? What did I ever do to you?! Smiley Wink

@ johnsonshiue and @ steven.dennis, thanks for the replies! But actually this post is from 4 years ago; Curtis was just being nice and humoring me with a reply since I mentioned this post onanother thread thread ...

Hi DRoam,

doh!

Yep, late Friday afternoon I intended to post to the thread you linked to, just to be funny/obnoxious. Smiley Tongue

It would have been the best 'work plane visibility thread' joke ever, had I not forgotten the link. Smiley Embarassed Rather than the most epic 'work plane visibility thread' joke fail that it is without the link. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe johnsonshiue's  and  steven.dennis' replies will help someone in the future when they find this thread in a search for the same question. ( <---- silver lining).

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report