Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off Temp Files

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
meck
4035 Views, 12 Replies

Turn off Temp Files

Inventor 2013 is creating .tmp files. Is there a way to shut this feature off?

Mike Eck
Master Drafter/ CAD Programmer
Using Inventor 2018
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
msklein
in reply to: meck

IF you are talking about old versions, then the answer is no. I do not understand why you would want to i set mine to keep 8 backups, and have had to go back and retrieve one because of a problem.

Now you can set it to only keep one, but since hard drives are cheap and very big and fast the higher the better.

Now if you are taking say tubing and piping the answer is still NO, those files are used by the runs.

when asking for help you need TO GIVE COMPLETE INFO AS TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

QUESTIONS are simple garbage in garbage out.

MSK

Message 3 of 13
meck
in reply to: msklein

Nope I'm not talking about Old Versions. Since loading 2013 I've been getting .tmp files in the same folder location as the file itself. This mostly happens with .dwg files. The files are the same size as the original files. So not only I'm I getting the Old Version I'm getting these .tmp files too.

Mike Eck
Master Drafter/ CAD Programmer
Using Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 13
michael_marx

an answer from Autodesk would be very interesting!

Or is this a new feature called fill the harddrive with garbage.

With an SSD inside its horrible!

regards Michael

Message 5 of 13

Have you tried clearing your temp folder. You may also want to check this issue on project file conflict with tmp folder.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Active-Project-file-conflict/td-p/3222090

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 6 of 13
michael_marx

I know now why inventor fill up the temp folder.

Inventor 2013 creates a set of temp files and if closed regulary Inventor cleans up the temp files.

But if Inventor crahses the temp files still there and with a restart of a template there are new temp files created!

So if a crash happens the files are doubled afterwards. And the folder size increase doubled!!

regards Michael

Message 7 of 13
cadlad
in reply to: michael_marx

Michael.Marx, How did you figure out that the ".tmp" files are remnants from drawings that crashed? Did you figure out what was causing you to crash? I have never noticed this filetype before, but I just went back in my projects and I can find them as far back as 2/13/2013. Perhaps it is back further than that but I see no point in looking more.
Dell Precision T3610 - Windows 7 SP1, 64x, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (driver 9.18.13.5306), Inventor 2013 SP2 Update 6 - *Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified*, AutoCAD 2014 SP1, Vault Professional 2014 SP1, 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator
Message 8 of 13
michael_marx
in reply to: cadlad

clear the temp folder and then startup Inventor with a drawing you can see a lot of new tmp files. And now make a crash of the Inventor. If you need one you don´t get one. If you don´t want one you get one Smiley Very Happy I´ve killed the Inventor.exe process like it´s happening when Inventor crahes. And all tmp files still in the temp folder. Repeat the same thing and close Inventor the right way the tmp files are deleted by the ending of the Inventor session. 

Message 9 of 13
alan.frishman
in reply to: msklein

Umm, OldVersions are not .tmp files.

Message 10 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: alan.frishman

10 yr old thread, good luck with a response!  LOL

Message 11 of 13

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for pointing out that AutoCAD does not create .tmp files. Inventor.exe does create some tmp files depending on the workflows. Strictly speaking, Inventor itself does not do it. It is certain services and operations shared by multiple products not cleaning up afterwards. Regardless it is generated by Inventor.exe as a whole.

I don't think there is a holistic switch to block such files from being created or force the application to clean up completely.

I do clean up %temp% on a monthly basis to avoid taking up excessive harddrive space.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13

Thank you for the reply!

Message 13 of 13
alan.frishman
in reply to: ampster402

Hey, I got you to reply! LOL. 😊

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report