Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
QuasiMojo
Message 11 of 21 (899 Views)

Re: Turn off Mini-Toolbar

06-04-2012 05:04 PM in reply to: whunter

I've started using SolidWorks more and more as these Inventor revisions are consistently underwhelming.  I have to admit that both have their strengths and weaknesses; SW being less annoying to use overall, I feel.

This mini-toolbar is a perfect example of developer time wasted.  I disagree with the previous post that it was the developer's idea to leave it in; I expect there was some management droid that likes fancy-looking ("minimalist" to use a salesman's BS) transparent toolbar that looks great in brochures but sucks to use. It's like concept cars: they never have air vents because they look bad but you need them or it's misery in the car.  Same with the mini-toolbar, snazzy but completely unrealistic.  It always floats where it shouldn't or it has to be anchored far away and it doesn't even do the job it's supposed to.  I have come to the opinion that the managers of the software development do not use the product in any real capacity.  It seems like something from Dilbert.

...not that I have a strong opinion on this particular topic.

end rant

Inventor Professional 2014
Windows 7, x64
Dual-core i7, 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M
HP Elitebook 8540w
Mentor
whunter
Message 12 of 21 (885 Views)

06-04-2012 11:31 PM in reply to: QuasiMojo

frumious_Bandersnatch wrote:

This mini-toolbar is a perfect example of developer time wasted.  I disagree with the previous post that it was the developer's idea to leave it in; I expect there was some management droid that likes fancy-looking ("minimalist" to use a salesman's BS) transparent toolbar that looks great in brochures but sucks to use. ...

You're probably right, I'm jumping to conclusions by assuming that it's a developer who came up with the idea of an eye candy tool for professionals. It probably is/was a management decision. Just wish that whovever made the decision realises that having two interfaces that does the same thing on one screen is, well, it's just plain stupid, isn't it? I mean, explain the benefit to me of having a perfectly usabe dialogue box, AND a half baked pain in the rear floating gimmick that hovers around your workspace.

Has nobody come up with a system registry hack yet?

jbrown1434
Message 13 of 21 (719 Views)

Does anyone Re: Turn off Mini-Toolbar

12-08-2012 08:56 AM in reply to: whunter

The only thing I can do is move the mini tool bar to a corner out of my main work area and pin it down.  I think you can also adjust the ime it takes to fade away but I havent tried yet.

Contributor
mikeweb74
Message 14 of 21 (696 Views)

12-08-2012 05:04 PM in reply to: whunter

Dialog boxes suck!!! I can’t believe that there is not a setting to turn off the mini-toolbar or at least an option to toggle between dialog box and mini-toolbar, and that Inventor did not include all of the options in the mini-toolbar. SolidWorks did away dialog boxes as many years ago. Have dupped Inventor yet? Did you go back to Solid Edge or SolidWorks?

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
blentner
Message 15 of 21 (610 Views)

02-06-2013 08:28 AM in reply to: whunter

I also dislike the mini-toolbar.  A lot. It has simply caused way too much wasted time and frustration, and that I don't need.  When designing, I need to fly at the speed of thought - I can't get bogged down in programmatic overhead.

imbik
Message 16 of 21 (513 Views)

05-21-2013 02:42 PM in reply to: whunter

My point is different than if we need a mini toolbar or not. Simply, why that thing always jumps over the exact place where I need to use for example extrude feature, therefore I can't see the geometry needs to be extruded ? irksome...

TedescoATC
Message 17 of 21 (186 Views)

05-28-2014 05:14 AM in reply to: whunter

Seriously, Autodesk.  Does anybody working there remember AutoCAD, or are you all too young?

Do you know why AutoCAD became the default drafting tool for industry?

USER CUSTOMIZATION.

Give us back the ability to tweek the interface the way we want it.  If you want to make money, that is.  Just make it amenable to the natural human instinct to "make it my own".  I'd settle for "make it work better" at this point.

Please get rid of the gimmicky toolbars that get in the way of us doing our jobs.

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 18 of 21 (175 Views)

05-28-2014 07:40 AM in reply to: TedescoATC

TedescoATC wrote:
...Do you know why AutoCAD became the default drafting tool for industry?

USER CUSTOMIZATION....

Hi TedescoATC,

Some would contend that the abilty to easily pirate AutoCAD (compared to other CAD softwares of the time that required dongle keys, and key codes, etc) is what led to AutoCAD becoming "the default drafting tool for industry". :smileywink:

As for the mini-toolbars, Autodesk has already accepted this IdeaStation idea to provide an option to turn them off. But you can still lend your support to the idea by providing a kudo:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Allow-the-user-to-tun-off-the-mini-toolbars-in-ca...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

TedescoATC
Message 19 of 21 (169 Views)

05-28-2014 07:51 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis, you're probably right!

Thanks for the linkage - kudos all around.

Your posts are always helpful - thanks for that, too!

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 20 of 21 (156 Views)

05-28-2014 09:11 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

105 kudos and accepted over a year ago. I wonder how long before this becomes "implemented".

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.