Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turn off dimension Prompts

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MBeerman
1906 Views, 10 Replies

turn off dimension Prompts

Hi there I need help with this annoying prompt when doing a drawing I have dimensions that are not attached. After I reattach the one side of the dimension a prompt comes up and says

"Change Linear Dimension Center: problems encountered while executing this command.
     One or more of the definition points are no longer attached to the geometry.  Drag the dimension definition points to reattach the dimension."

Is it possible to turn this off?

... because I know the other side of the dang dimensions isn't attached yet... ahhhh!!!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: MBeerman

tools..application options..prompts tab is where you can turn off certain prompts..

BUT I don't think thats in there as its never really a good idea to turn that one off..IMO anyways..

Frankly I'd question why you are in that situation in the first place.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11
MBeerman
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have already tried to do that but nothing worked. and the only reason I am in this situation is because I have multiple files that are the same but none of the dimensions stay on the part, when I use replace model reference. And auto attach is even worse!

Message 4 of 11
mdavis22569

I agree with McGryvr you don't want to turn it .. However you could get an ILOGIC script that would do the reference replacement and delete the unattached ...etc etc ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
MBeerman
in reply to: mdavis22569

ya I need something that is quick and easy... I could go and remodel everything so the replacements would work but that is way too much time I just want to click and drag with no errors in between.

Message 6 of 11
mrattray

I feel your pain. I've been grinding my teeth about this for a long time. There is no way to turn it off, and the auto-attach is not exposed to the API so no iLogic. You can auto delete all unattached with iLogic, but that's the best that can be done at this time. I think I have something about this somewhere in the idea station.

Another common time you get this is if you had to delete a feature and replace it with something similar, for example you had a hole pattern and then you got a change request from the shop floor to change it to slots.

Remodeling won't help, by the way. If it's not exactly the same entities that were originally dimensioned it wont work.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 11
MBeerman
in reply to: mrattray

I also put something in the idea station as well hopefully they will do somthing about it.

Message 8 of 11
mrattray

Do you have this option checked? It will help reduce the volume of messages.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 11
MBeerman
in reply to: mrattray

Ya I have tried it but then it doesn’t error for some other things I want it to error for.... I guess I can turn it off while I know what I am doing them turn it back on when I am done with that run of drawings.

Message 10 of 11
mdavis22569

I have to ask .... Are you using the same base model over and over ..and it's just changing length, hole location etc, or is it a completely new part design

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
MBeerman
in reply to: mdavis22569

unfortunately the designer before me made individual parts....I am a new designer to the company and I am cleaning up drawings… and yes if all my parts were just modified from one part it would make life too easy. But hey when is life easy…lol.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report